Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently started shooting all my photos in RAW instead of Normal/Jpeg, I have one problem though, I cannot download the photos to my PC because they are something called a NEF file. I noticed I only get NEF files when I shoot in RAW. I searched google and there is a program which converts NEF files to Jpegs, but how will I download them to my PC in the first place and will I loose the quality of the image? Is there a way to prevent my RAW image from being a NEF file? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have CS5 and it is able to open the NEF files. My other question though is, should I convert the NEF to a Jpeg, then touch it up in Photoshop? Or should I touch up the NEF and then convert to a Jpeg after?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, is there a way to reduce the file size of a TIFF? 34 Megabytes+ is pretty big for one image..

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Thanks, is there a way to reduce the file size of a TIFF? 34 Megabytes+ is pretty big for one image..
Don't hesitate converting your images to high-quality JPEG's. (I typically use a quality of 10-12 in Photoshop when saving at 300dpi.)

As stated above, TIFF does not lose quality when being repeatedly saved over time but the file sizes are insane.

If you ever delve into the live wire media industry, we could never justify the time or computer hard drive space using TIFF. Speed is everything. Many photographers I work with at Getty / AP / Reuters etc. shoot in jpeg ONLY. Plus, if I was shooting in TIFF, my computer would just crash anyway with the file sizes. :lol:

Assuming you save your photos in jpeg form in Photoshop at its max quality level, you'd seriously have to save your photos a TON of times to notice any quality degradation.

Hope that helps save you a lot of time saving photos and hard drive space!

- Chris

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So basically your saying just save them as Jpegs anyway(Photoshop Quality of 10-12) and don't even bother with TIFFS?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Be sure to take advantage of the nondestructive editing of raw images in camera raw. Then open them in Photoshop and save them as JPEGs when you've done all you want to do in Camera raw. The point of shooting RAW is to edit them without losing a lot of image quality like you would when editing a jpeg. After you've made your adjustments in brightness/exposure/contrast/white balance etc, then you can save them into JPEG or Tiff. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh Alright, that makes perfect sense! Thanks a lot guys. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts