Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always been on trhe german engineering side. But lately, I figured that a SRT-10 Viper could be fun ( or a C6Z ).

I'm coming from E46 M3, E50 M5, E55 AMG.... I am looking for a toy. I don't care about having a confortable ride. I want something with raw power, great handling and somewhat reliable that doesn't need a 2000 $ maintenance every 5k.

Viper's owner, please chime in. Pros and cons ?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Pros: over the past 11k miles, I have around $300 into maintenance (do it myself); only thing that I have broken is a trans mount, which is notorious for failing (900lb driveline), and costs $47 to upgrade to a hard mount; you are a rockstar in it; the noise; 4th gear's mad skills.

Cons: not enough to outweigh the pros; hvac controls = cold or hot.

Nick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Particulier,

I have an '06 SRT10 Coupe and personally I love it. For maintenance they are pretty simple and that is the joy of a push rod engines. Sure costs are sightly higher then a Corvette but then again they make 30 Corvette to every 1 Viper. Hell they make more Ferrari's ever year then Vipers.
That said the Viper is not the for everyone, it is and unadulterated, raw, and savage car. I liken the SRT10 to this; it has gorilla handling, gorilla brakes, and gorilla power. As such you never really relax while driving one. I'm painting this picture because you said you are coming from German luxury sport sedans and there is a big difference in character and performance between them and a supercar like the Viper. OK that's the heavy stuff now lets talk about what you are going to use it for. Track days, GT travel, drag racing, autocrossing, or just posing by driving up and down the strip?

If you buy one take it to the road course and get some professional coaching - the car will amaze you!

Best of luck.

Geoff

·
Registered
816 Posts
Particulier,

I have an '06 SRT10 Coupe and personally I love it. For maintenance they are pretty simple and that is the joy of a push rod engines. Sure costs are sightly higher then a Corvette but then again they make 30 Corvette to every 1 Viper. Hell they make more Ferrari's ever year then Vipers.
That said the Viper is not the for everyone, it is and unadulterated, raw, and savage car. I liken the SRT10 to this; it has gorilla handling, gorilla brakes, and gorilla power. As such you never really relax while driving one. I'm painting this picture because you said you are coming from German luxury sport sedans and there is a big difference in character and performance between them and a supercar like the Viper. OK that's the heavy stuff now lets talk about what you are going to use it for. Track days, GT travel, drag racing, autocrossing, or just posing by driving up and down the strip?

If you buy one take it to the road course and get some professional coaching - the car will amaze you!

Best of luck.

Geoff

+1.

Definitely a savage car.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I have an 04 srt10 and I love it.... really good deals to be had on them right now also.
I would get a coupe if you can afford it vs the earlier verts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is mostly for GT traveling. I don't do any track event or similar stuff. I would probably go for a vert, since I never had a convertible and I prefer the rear end. Exhaust, intake, tune, and some KW's...

Thanks for your reply Gdog and other members.

·
Registered
67 Posts
No problem.

Just a heads up these cars are loud on the highway because of tire drone + exhaust pulse (all cars should have side pipes!) and the 'verts offer little in acoustical damping with the top up.

I love Vipers but if you are looking for a true GT car a Corvette maybe a better option. They have more creature comforts and cruise control. In any event best of luck with the purchase.

Geoff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ a C6Z would be a great option but, I am a " exhaust sound guy ". I think that the exhaust note from a snake is unique. Thanks for the input though. How's the fuel consumption ? I know it is horrible, but how horrible ? I already had a V10 in the M5 but how does it compare ?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I get 24-30mpg depending on speed and conditions.

Viper is not a GT car. FYI, the reason I went with a GenII coupe over a GenIII coupe, insurance was ~$1k/6mo less.

Nick

·
Registered
67 Posts
^^ a C6Z would be a great option but, I am a " exhaust sound guy ". I think that the exhaust note from a snake is unique. Thanks for the input though. How's the fuel consumption ? I know it is horrible, but how horrible ? I already had a V10 in the M5 but how does it compare ?
The mileage is the shits in town but on the highway in 6th gear it's good ~ 20MPG. Honestly the fuel range is more important to me.

Exhaust note? The Viper's V10 sounds kind of like a BIG sport bike on 'riods compared to the Vette's raspy burble. Want I real love is the back fire pops on the overrun. I drive with the windows down even when it's cold just to hear it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
what do 03-06 vipers normally go for?
i fell in love with viper's ever since my aunt had one as a company car ^_^

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gen III vipers are cheap nowdays and worth every penny. I love tooling around in my supercharged snake. forced air actually gives it even better fuel economy and huge power. Buy one with the common mods..

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
wha? The only speed or condition I would ever see that kind of MPG is 6th gear at 60 mph.
x2, that would be stellar. OP, don't even consider MPG when buying that car, you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
what do 03-06 vipers normally go for?
i fell in love with viper's ever since my aunt had one as a company car ^_^
i traded for my 04 but what i traded for was worth around 35k.. the viper had pretty low miles..and in mint condition...but it was more the situation that he needed what i had..and i wanted the viper but didnt need it.

i see 04s for 35-40 all day. but you get what u pay for.

I have also never seen anything north of 15 mpg and all I do is highway driving.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts