Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out the other day that Koenigsegg uses SolidWorks to design there cars. Knowing that, I am very compfortable using the software for my business.

Koenigsegg, do you have any comments about the program or anything you would like to say?

·
Registered
694 Posts
I use solidworks all the time. I was slightly surprised to find out when I heard they didn't use Catia by DSS instead. I love SW though, it's a great program. The only thing that busts my balls is the fact you can't go backwards in versions (i.e. open a SW2012 file on SW2011). The solidworks site has a pretty cool video about the cc being designed entirely on sw

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
We use solidworks for everything at Bosch. All your injectors, Fuel rails, spark plugs, ECU's/TCU's... everything we do is in solidworks for the most part

amazing program

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
That's pretty surprising, I would think they use pro E or catia.
I know how to draw in SW but I can't stand doing cad. Maybe it's because I had a dumb teacher, but mainly because I don't have the temper to deal with it

Sent from my iPhizzle using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Do any of you designers use simulation software to test the designs before they go into physical prototyping? For instance for structural integrity or life cycle fatigue testing?

·
Gold Sponsor
3,967 Posts
I use solidworks all the time. I was slightly surprised to find out when I heard they didn't use Catia by DSS instead. I love SW though, it's a great program. The only thing that busts my balls is the fact you can't go backwards in versions (i.e. open a SW2012 file on SW2011). The solidworks site has a pretty cool video about the cc being designed entirely on sw
This. Quite possibly the only downside I have seen with the software suite.

Do any of you designers use simulation software to test the designs before they go into physical prototyping? For instance for structural integrity or life cycle fatigue testing?
Yes. FEA is run digitally, inside of SolidWorks, to iteratively improve the design, i.e. change design elements with the highest stresses by adding more material or redesigning said element. Also, the models can be exported to other programs such as CFD software suites.

·
Registered
694 Posts
David, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you use solidworks for in your line of work? I'm a huge car guy and love hearing about other peoples' projects and work. Sounds like you might be into some pretty cool stuff

·
Registered
694 Posts
Awesome to see so many guys using solidworks. I hope to take another class soon to improve my skills.
This is my latest project. It's a great surface modeling tutorial. The model doesn't have a thickness (it is an infinitely small surface) so it limits you to applying actual materials and doing FEA and (I believe) CFD as well. Over all the tutorial is excellent for teaching surface modeling, you might like what this guy has to offer.

SolidWorks Car Tutorial: Master SolidWorks Surfacing and Complex Shape Modeling with this Step-by-Step Video Tutorial.

I've also got the F-16 fighter jet tutorial when I finish the R8. There is a Lamborghini Gallardo too which looks like it would be fun to build.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I can't quite answer for SW people, but with Unigraphics NX we can do the same analysis as others mentioned. The FEA functionality is built-into the program or you can export models to programs like Ansys or Abacus. We don't do CFD runs internally though, as my company has homegrown software that's more specific to our line of work.

You can also walk through assembly processing to make sure there's enough room to put things together, Robotic Motion, CNC Machining. I don't work in the automotive industry, but in my line of work (Aerospace/Defense) we have things analyzed like crazy before even cutting one chip of metal since the safety factors are so small.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Solidworks has a lot of software build in for testing. SimulationXpress for FEA is good for identifying high stress areas, deformations and a factor of safety. It is really simple to use too once you've made something you want to test

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yes. FEA is run digitally, inside of SolidWorks, to iteratively improve the design, i.e. change design elements with the highest stresses by adding more material or redesigning said element. Also, the models can be exported to other programs such as CFD software suites.
Yeah I guess the CAD packages are integrating a lot of FEA capabilities these days. I work for a company involved with simulating the production of sheet metal automobile components and component testing using LSDYNA, very coo stuff!

It don't have any Koenigsegg simulations, but I do have a Ferrari!

·
Platinum Sponsor
6 Posts
I just found out the other day that Koenigsegg uses SolidWorks to design there cars. Knowing that, I am very compfortable using the software for my business.

Koenigsegg, do you have any comments about the program or anything you would like to say?
We primarily use Catia V5 for the majority of design and engineering, Alias for A-Class surfaces and Inventor for powertrain internals and simulation.
Solidworks is still used to handle old data from previous car models as that was the software we used prior to Catia.

I'm not the guy to go into deeper discussions in this matter but I believe there is more in-depth information on our website.

Stefan

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I used to use Catia back when I was studying i Mechanical engineering and for the SAE formula team. All the things that solidworks can do and even more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts