Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whats up everyone,
I thought this would help some Listers, A lot of people are left stranded looking for a trustworthy body shop to take their precious cars. I wanted to post this thread to show the damage that can be caused from a simple rear end impact.

A customer came in for "Just a bumper Job" (his words) with some minor damage to his rear bumper on his BRAND NEW 2013 Porsche 911 :bawling:

Let's take a look at this bumper job.
Here is what pulled up...
(Damage to the Right of License Plate)

This is going to be easy right?...

Step one is to remove the bumper and check for additional damage...
This is what we found.

Impact bar has been smashed in like a Pepsi can...

So we further remove the bar and heat shields etc...
after proper stripping we realized the frame had damage... :yikes:

This being an aluminum frame Porsche requires replacement, which requires removal of engine... Let the fun begin...

Once the engine was removed we further inspected the frame and found some of the welds were beginning to separate.

Once the insurance company came out to see the additional surprises they approved and we continued to remove and replace the frame
We put the car on our Frame machine made by CAR BENCH (which is the same frame machines that Porsche Prototypes their cars with) this ensures that the car is aligned to factory specs down to the Millimeter (we also have Celette Benches)!
With the car on Jigs and the old frame out of the way we installed the new frame. (hard to see because the frame comes black)

Here you can see the Betamate seeping thru(ultra high strength glue) That bonds the frame.

Now that the frame is back in place we had the motor put back in
Time for reassembly!!

Yes... we started it like this. Yes it was loud as FCUK!
Out with the old and In with the new!

All the new parts on the way in.
Once reassembled and tightened up, we send it to Porsche to have them clear all the codes, Align the wheels, and quality check. (Porsche dealer must do this to not void warranty) Once the car is back in our hands we send it thru our wash/detail department
Walked in on her in the shower...

And now look at that rear end!!!!!

A whole lot of work for "Just a bumper Job"

So Wherever you are located here's some tips to get a proper repair on your Porsche 991 or whatever you drive.

Check YELP wherever you are.
Make sure the shop is actually doing the work that is on the estimate :read:
Have good insurance (IF YOU WANT OEM PARTS, READ YOUR CONTRACT!!):read:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Great work guys!

I know people who would have just changed the bumper cover.

I also know clients who wouldn't have checked...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. this being my first post, your kind feedback is appreciated. I was almost anticipating some troll (and I'm sure he will come soon enough).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice work and excellent job being thorough.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
great work!

thanks for posting and welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This same post on another forum has turned into a great way for other owners to check in and compare their body experiences. I'd love to hear from the L4P owners.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Nice job. I'm surprised that no one asked if your allowed to post this or not yet, Lol.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Its always nice to see people doing quality work. You always see the horror stories but never the good work like this

·
Registered
793 Posts
Wow. If it were not for this level of investigation and thoroughness, the owner would have had major problems down the road. :wink: I wonder how many shops would have done the visible cosmetic work, billed the insurance company, and called it a day. Kudos for peeling back ALL the layers of the onion. :clap:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Never trust that what's on the surface reveals the entire situation!

It's important to understand the entire situation of accident repair and insurance coverage as well as how the insurance company can potentially dictate how your repair is handled.

Just my opinion, but I'd question shops that have DRP relationships (direct repair programs) with the insurance company. You'll see instances of these in some auto dealerships that still have body shops. DRP's sell themselves to customers as a way for them to save time and money. That said, the body shop will often have their work, time, parts, etc. dictated to them by the insurance company.

The body shop also has to run through hoops to remain certified as a DRP. To be qualified as a DRP, the shop has to spend money/time to be certified by insurance companies and abide by their standards. If for example the time to cycle a car is too long, or the dealership quotes are not to the insurance company liking, there will be issues that could lead to the shop losing money on repairs not authorized or even lose their the DRP designation.

My wife's car was fixed at a DRP after someone backed into it while we were at lunch. I've had to take it back twice for paint and quality issues and it's still not up to my standards. I've actually had to polish clear coat over spray off of panels that weren't even near the damage.

Its one thing to find a shop that will work with your insurance, but a whole other thing to have the insurance dictate what the shop does and how.

Bottom line, don't be intimidated. It's your car and you have choices on who fixes it, how its fixed and what's used.

Reactions: slik560
1 - 16 of 16 Posts