Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I pick my ma up from the dealership after she dropped her car off and we agreed that because I'll take her to Whole Foods, we get to visit the bike dealer here in Scottsdale.
So we go in and one of the salesmen come up to us and start talking and my ma mentions all the head injuries she saw in the trauma center when she started in nursing. So he goes on talking about the safety of the gear now and all the classes I should take to get started with motorcycling.
We give him our emails and numbers incase any classes are soon or any specials on em.
Bout an hour later he calls my ma and asks her if the last name on her email is at all related to the neurosurgeon who removed a tumor from his mom the previous year..

Now the guy says we dont have to worry about anything and he'll take care of us. Gonna pay for the classes and all lol
Thanks dad!

They still dont want me getting a bike though.. How do I convince em?
I was thinking of just buying it and showing up with it..?

Was thinking of a Ducati Monster 620..
This one specifically, seller says $3800 OBO

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've had to go through that battle at home for 6 years and just 7 months ago finally got one. And my family has a history of bikers and mechanics. As far as just showing up with it one day depends on how old you are. A 24 yr old can get away with that more than a 19 year old.

I'd stay away from monsters though. They're extremely underpowered and you're gonna regret having to service it when you realize how much it'll cost you. I'm selling my Aprilia Shiver 750, but only because I want a liter sportbike. It's got the same power as the 1100 monster but it's super easy to ride. Here's a pic of a similar one. The gold frame alone is a stunner in person. The exhaust note is easily one of the sickest I've ever heard.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I will say this... I bought this bike for $2300... 2002 monster 750. it is actually a dark edition, but was painted silver... its an excellent first bike with just enough power to get started

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gonna be 18 soon..

I was looking at a bunch for sale and there are a couple 750's but I figured the fuel injected 620 would be better power and maintenance wise. The 620's a little faster and has more potential.

Santorino, I do like the italian bikes. The monsters dont seem to be underpowered, just the ones I can afford lol. Still have to have a bit left to invest! I dont want that Jap crap even though I could get an R1 for pretty cheap and close to the price of the Monster..
That Aprilia looks good (not as good as the monster in my opinion) and I cant find any used near me..

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just totaled an Aprilia Tuono 1000R. Other guys fault, turned left 10 ft. in front of me. Loved that bike tho. Definitely getting another.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The 620 is a great starter bike. For an 18 yr old it should be plenty... in a couple of years, you can get into the 1000s and so on.
I have a 750 Monster and BMW R1100S. Ducati is great for the city, the BMW for the highway.
Like cars, they are all designed for something different. Good luck, be smart and you won't get hurt

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
first bikes should be cheap and bulletproof. If you like the style of the monster...look into an sv650. ride the piss out of it....learn a lot and if you dont like it sell it.....remember...its your first bike. not your last bike.
the older monsters are pretty expensive to mantain.
and you dont want to drop a duc lol.

and about convincing your mom....my parents said no...many times...i waited till they were on vacation and bought the an old cbrf4 with money i saved up....i dropped it a lot but it was bulletproof....when they found out....they threw a fit...but since my dad rode back in the day he understood....you just have to sit down with them and talk to em man to man and woman...its just hard to convince a head doc lol....they have seen a lot of head trauma from bikes....my brother hates bikes: I got in a wreck pretty bad where i have a plate for a forehead and a he sees it everyday at work.
that being said..if you were my kid...i would not let you ride at all...I see it all the time...cars are crazy out there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My parents said no no no no no no no. They also said they would kick me out.

I paid for the classes, passed them. Then just brought a bike home (first bike was a 250)
They got over their hatred. I paid for everything. Then after 6 months I sold it and bought a 600cc. I was 18, I guess my parents were happy that I was working for something and being productive so they did not actually kick me out. Ended up using the 600cc for a year and then sold it. My parents are very happy with me haha. Im only 20 now tho.

Just be responsible and wear your gear, explain to your parents you wont drive very far or whatnot and make them sure that you can handle it. I had a few close calls, but luckily never any spills.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just bought my first bike a few weeks ago and its a Monster800, this bike is amazing.. i wanted a 6 something but i couldnt find one in my area.. but now i love the power of the 800. it wasnt hard at all for me to learn the clutch and all that. as far as my parents go.. they hate that i have one but they cant say anything since i live 400 miles away from them:D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Remember to use common sense and get a bike that will apply to how you plan on riding. If you see race track usage as a priority with occasional street usage, then consider the run of the mill supersports & liter bikes (CBR, R, GSX-R, ZX-R).

The naked sports bike segment of SV 650, Monsters, and Shivers will be your best bet bang for buck. I've had my fare share of ownership experience with the exotics (and currently working in a dealer for one of the brands). With the used ducs I cannot stress enough to check the previous owners service history. Don't hold me to the figures but I'm pretty sure except for newer 2010+ models, older ducs need a valve check and re-calibration at around the 6,000 mile marker. These can be cost intensive depending on dealer hourly rate, etc. They are great bikes and stand the test of time, however you absolutely get what you put in. The suzuki SV-650 is one of the most popular combinations of "beginner-bike-becoming-track day-addicted" motorcycles.

The 620 i.e. was known for being underpowered, so you can afford to find a used 750, or an older 900. There are also the S2R models that I believed housed the older 916 testastretta engines. Some other choices that mechanically might be a bit less burdensome would be the street triple (triumph) and for me, the one that makes the most sense bang-per-buck while keeping a unique identity is the Aprilia Shiver. Unfortunately the shiver was only introduced in '08, so the prices might not be existent in the sub-4k range. Keep is informed as to what you decide on!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts