1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody use an slr as a daily?

are the slr prices comming down since the
sls came out?

what would be a better deal right now slr or sl65 black series?

I know that you have to pay to play....is putting miles on an slr gona make me take out a second mortgage?

Those two are my number one lust and has been since it came out.

my brother is suggesting a clk black instead since they are not as expensive...but not really what i want.

any owners wanna chime in?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This is the only place you can see question like that:p

i think the slr is in a different category than the others....

the sls is more of a mass production car(limited mass production better) and the clk black is a substitude....but the slr is a real supercar....

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has been my (within reach) dream car for quite some time now. and I am really hoping the prices on that plummet so I can pick one up, and cruise with my wife till we run of gas or money lol

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks amee. will do

for what its worth
I found an slr with 1800 miles for 219k
also found a sls with 1500 mils for 219k
and a black series with 1900 mils for 219k
pretty funny..

·
Extra Mustard
16,977 Posts
i have driven an SLR and well,,, lets just say it's awkward steering and the transmission kill me!

for daily?
no way unless your commute is 2miles each way...

i can't even do a clk black as a daily- theyre just not comfortable cars for any kind of "commute"
my E63 wagon i can definitely drive everyday!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Here is a quote I found about the SLR

"The SLR feels deliciously like a racer. The ride is admittedly very firm and the tyres thump over cats' eyes but it is never harsh. Having said that, great care needs to be taken over speed humps. This is no softies' supercar after all: it's the real thing."

"The five-speed automatic gearbox is ideal. You can select relaxed automatic changes, a sporting automatic or full manual over-ride. There are also three gearchange speeds: "sport", "supersport" or "race"."

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have driven an SLR and well,,, lets just say it's awkward steering and the transmission kill me!

for daily?
no way unless your commute is 2miles each way...

i can't even do a clk black as a daily- theyre just not comfortable cars for any kind of "commute"
my E63 wagon i can definitely drive everyday!
I drove one but not for a while..I liked it but anything over half and hour would have told me if i could daily it or.
the commute to and forth is about 15 miles.
what about a sl65 black or sls? any opinon on those?
I wanna keep it in the Mb family.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I don't have experience for either or of those above mentioned cars, but if you have not seen it yet, Jeremy Clarkson compares sitting in the black series, like sitting on a pile of rocks :lol:

* Not to say his opinion trumps all, but he is pretty funny :lol:

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I don't have experience for either or of those above mentioned cars, but if you have not seen it yet, Jeremy Clarkson compares sitting in the black series, like sitting on a pile of rocks :lol:

* Not to say his opinion trumps all, but he is pretty funny :lol:
I drove the SL BS and I don't know what Clarkson refers to. Unless the suspension is different on US models, it was pretty good. I'd say almost like a regular SL. It handled 10x better than a regular SL too. I know the seats are different: EU models have carbon fiber bucket seats, US models have regular leather seats.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
well the msrp for the SLS is 183k, so paying 219k for a used one would just be silly.

i know you said you want to keep it within the MB fam, but i can't help but suggest looking at the R8 V10.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a gallardo for a while and I just sold an a5, b5s4 and will be selling an a6 soon...no more audis lol.

that sls is actually a steal...it is an alu-beam color, designo two tone tan interior, carbon fiber, carbon ceramic wheels, sports susp, b&o sound..upgraded steering wheel...upgraded wheels...extra carbon fiber including mirror and engine....to spec it out would be around 241k

·
958 Posts
anybody use an slr as a daily?

the slr is a gentleman's "race" car as told to me by my local slr mechanic. and i actually know a chicago guy who tracks his.

the car is definately somewhat stiff on the road, not what i would call precise, and kind of clunky, like a race car.. reminds me of a viper.

but it is very user friendly has a/c, etc and the transmission is a normal 5 speed AMG MB unit, like we have in 2 other cars in our garage. it is idiot proof, hold the gas pedal to the floor and it will automatically shift at red line.

i live in a ferrari town, with f cars everywhere, but i never see other slr's on the street. i know guys that own them but never see anyone drive them. therefore they draw a crowd, especially when the doors are open. the kid's like me to drive them to school in it.

you know how a hayabusa is very docile at low rpms around town and is only a twist of the throttle away from instant gratification (in any gear) because it has a motor from God.. the slr is kind of like that, not as gentle as a busa but when you get on it, it pulls like a freight train.

the exhaust sound doesn't do that much for me but the supercharger sounds fabulous. a VERY fun car, that is very rare around chicago.

downside, the car is mostly carbon fiber and i don't know of many body shops that can work on it. the maintenance schedule for the car is very race car like. it was built by mcLaren in Woking, Surrey, England, UK and EVERYTHING about the car is EXPENSIVE.

there a very few cars in the US like the slr. it is NOT your normal car but it is a cool, FUN car..

pm me and i will share some fun pics of the underside of the car with you.

·
Registered
583 Posts
for a daily between SLR/sl65 BS/clk BS i'd definitely say SLR is the most comfy, ive never driven one but the interior is pretty much an authentic normal SL while both the BS's are obviously a bit stripped,when it comes to the money/what performance you're getting for it i'd honestly say try to get a hold of an SLS since its the best mix in terms of speed/drivability/$.... on the other hand a CL65 would suffice i think if you want a comfy daily cruiser that can haul ass ;) not as agile obviously but you'd be surprised, no track car but on the roads its a blast... plus they'd be cheaper than everything else except a clk bs at this point i think, let us know what you decide!

·
Premium Member
17,966 Posts
Def get some opinions from guys who owned and DD it. I know Allan DD his and Ben still does DD his. I am getting an opinion from another friend that DD his as well. All three of these guys drove Black SLRs.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

the slr is a gentleman's "race" car as told to me by my local slr mechanic. and i actually know a chicago guy who tracks his.

the car is definately somewhat stiff on the road, not what i would call precise, and kind of clunky, like a race car.. reminds me of a viper.

but it is very user friendly has a/c, etc and the transmission is a normal 5 speed AMG MB unit, like we have in 2 other cars in our garage. it is idiot proof, hold the gas pedal to the floor and it will automatically shift at red line.

i live in a ferrari town, with f cars everywhere, but i never see other slr's on the street. i know guys that own them but never see anyone drive them. therefore they draw a crowd, especially when the doors are open. the kid's like me to drive them to school in it.

you know how a hayabusa is very docile at low rpms around town and is only a twist of the throttle away from instant gratification (in any gear) because it has a motor from God.. the slr is kind of like that, not as gentle as a busa but when you get on it, it pulls like a freight train.

the exhaust sound doesn't do that much for me but the supercharger sounds fabulous. a VERY fun car, that is very rare around chicago.

downside, the car is mostly carbon fiber and i don't know of many body shops that can work on it. the maintenance schedule for the car is very race car like. it was built by mcLaren in Woking, Surrey, England, UK and EVERYTHING about the car is EXPENSIVE.

there a very few cars in the US like the slr. it is NOT your normal car but it is a cool, FUN car..

pm me and i will share some fun pics of the underside of the car with you.

Thank your sir. I will do.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts