Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Just thought I'd share my AMG project with you guys from 2011. Sorry for the camera phone pics, I may take some better shots when I have some extra time. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Back in 2010 I liked the look of the new SL65 but, I didn't like the price tag as much. So, I built this for half the price of a new one.

Since a face lift upgrade does not exist. I had to do the research, legwork and manage the various people involved to get this project complete in a short time frame. Which was harder then expected but, luckily this wasn't my first rodeo.

The entire 2010 face lift took about 2 month to complete. Which included delivery of parts from Germany. There were some minor complications along the way. Such as electrical and wiring related as one might imagine. But I buttoned everything up like factory and even took it to Fletcher Jones Mercedes to get some feedback and they all thought it was a 2010 model. They popped the hood to check the work and said it was just as good as they could imagine.

I used 100% OEM MB parts for the project.

Everything was replaced other then the doors, roof, and trunk (what is part of the unibody)

Since the chassis are all the same up to 2013 everything bolted righted up.

Here is what the car looked like when we first took delivery. A pristine 2005 Mercedes Benz SL65 AMG. The dealer who did the pre purchase inspection called it a cream puff. Whatever that means…

Here are a few pics taken during the build.

This is how it sits right now. Not bad, thanks for looking!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh my! What a beautiful car, I didn't know that a facelift kit like this existed. The carbon dash is wonderful looking, and the silver side vents add a great amount of contrast! Enjoy your beast

·
Registered
348 Posts
It looks fantastic! btw a cream puff is an old or second hand car in good condition, my grandpa says it sometimes

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that looks 1000000x better!
Thank You Tony! ADV.1 sets the bar and has always given me inspiration.

Not sure how to reply with multiple quotes here. But, thank you. It's good to know my work can still be appreciated. :)

The list of mods are:

20" staggered concave wheels painted satin black.

Star lowered

Painted red calipers with AMG logo and then clear coated.

Muffler delete

Johnson CM30 intercooler pump

2011 SL65 front and rear bumper

2011 SL65 rear diffuser

2011 SL65 Fenders and side vents

2011 SL65 Hood

2011 Sl65 Headlights

Wiring harness, Fender liners, brackets, nuts, bolts, electrical connectors, etc.

Paint was done by a local body shop that does work for House of Imports MB dealer.

Next up, Im planning to swap the steering wheel to the newer one with the alcantara. I would also like to add the diamond stitch to my leather seats and door panels like factory spec.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
very nice work....i had considered doing the exact same thing before i decided to leave the US... buying a low mileage good condition 05-06 SL65 and swapping in the '10-'12 headlights/bumper/fender etc.... its significantly cheaper than buying an actual '10-'12, and besides those exterior cosmetics, the cars are identical under the skin anyway.... so buying the '10-'12 model does not get you a better car

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks RoadWarrior. 50% off new is a great deal if you ask me.

The 65 pulls hard like a freight train, a nice steady surge of power throughout the entire power band. Silky smooth.

Stock vs Stock the E55 V8 Kompressor feels more exciting and the torque pounds you in the chest when you put your foot in it. But, the mammoth v12 Biturbo is still quicker. It's very fast without the fuss.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Thanks RoadWarrior. 50% off new is a great deal if you ask me.

The 65 pulls hard like a freight train, a nice steady surge of power throughout the entire power band. Silky smooth.

Stock vs Stock the E55 V8 Kompressor feels more exciting and the torque pounds you in the chest when you put your foot in it. But, the mammoth v12 Biturbo is still quicker. It's very fast without the fuss.
plus you can add an ECU tune, intercooler upgrade, and remove the cats for some massive power upgrades and an incredible V12 sound that the V8 just cannot compete with :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts