Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 SL63 with 24k and have had a problem with the transmission downshifting on its own. I can be driving in comfort, S or S+ and I have a D on the dash then all of a sudden it drops the car in a lower gear typically 1, 2 or 3rd. Once it starts doing this I can shift manually but it doesn't always react and will sometimes just drop down gears on its own. It seems to happen the most when I accelerate quickly.

I have taken it to the dealership twice and both times no codes. Updated software the first time. It seems to typically happen when I haven't driven the car for over a week. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Never had that happen and im well into 30k miles. Sounds like the software update didnt take.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
That’s my ^ guess I would go back and see if it does have the latest update as it has to be a computer thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the delay with an udpate...took my car in for the 3rd time 2 weeks ago. It finally acted up while I was there and I had the shop foremen take a drive with me...they agree now there is a issue. They replaced the control module I belive for the center console shifter and that didn' fix the problem. Had to wait for part from Germany so it has now been 2 wks and we still don't really know what the problem is...next step is to replace the control module on the steering column which recieves input from paddle shifters. No waiting on that part. This is easily the worst experience I have ever had with a vehicle. I have always purchased Japanese vehicles and this is my first Merc and so far not exactly impressed with the service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other thing to note is to get the problem to repeat you simply try and upshift with the +paddle shifter and it will drop typically to 3rd gear. After that it pretty much goes crazy. The center console shift and the paddle shift don't respond and unless you put it in park you will be stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts