Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I go skiing once a year with the family so spending a ton doesn't quite make much sense.

Where can I get decent quality decent looking stuff?

Jacket/Pants/Shoes etc.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
If you want something that you may wear other than on the mountain (jacket wise) I would look into Holden.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Columbia sportswear also make mountain hardware, which is great stuff. I wear it all winter in oregon. It is versatile enough to wear at the mountain and also just in crappy weather.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If you want something that you may wear other than on the mountain (jacket wise) I would look into Holden.
+1
They have good quality products and are nice as well

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
m brother is a skiaholic..and he wears a lot of oakley gear. dont know how good or bad they are. but i doubt they are that expensive

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wear mostly oakley when skiing. Great stuff but can get a bit more pricey then most traditional ski companies for some stuff.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
It is a shame you didn't look into this a month ago as typically that is when all the major sales occur.

A few things...

Spyder is over priced and cheap. I sold the stuff for a number of years and you don't want to know how many returns we had a few days after the sale of a $800 jacket. In the same realm as Spyder, is Descente who make a far higher quality of product, for about the same price. A bit slimmer cut, so check out the sizing accordingly.

Columbia is low end stuff, and none of it is completely waterproof, but it suits the needs of many people.

Burton is the atypical baggier style gear that many skiers wear as well. If you check out their products, their AK line is the only one I would recommend. Almost all are made with gore tex and I have had a few which have lasted a few 100+ days on the hill.

Arcteryx make just about as high end of a waterproof product available. End of story.

The North Face make a bunch of reasonably priced 3 in 1 jackets that suit most general consumers needs as well as their uber high end gore tex pieces. (all of their HighVent jackets are rated at 20,000mm).

For the more style conscious, as a few others said, check out Holden. Reasonably priced and can be worn off the hill as well. I actually picked up a jacket and pants from them for this season.

In terms of 'waterproof', nothing that is below 20,000mm waterproof rating is actually 'waterproof' per say. Gore Tex has the equivalent of about 30,000mm+ rating.

If you want insulated, but don't want the weight of down, make sure you look at a jacket filled with Primaloft. It typically isn't cheap, but it is well worth it.

Ski boots are a whole 'nother thing that have to be consulted upon in person as they are very foot, weight and rider/skier specific.

I sold this stuff for a number of years in a few different Ski towns. If you want any more info or specifics feel free to shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
738 Posts
check out oakleyvault.com tramdock.com whiskeymilitia.com

they all have sales and have excellent products on all sites.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Northface hands down.

I love all their products. never had an issue @ all with anything from them.

Great quality as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
m brother is a skiaholic..and he wears a lot of oakley gear. dont know how good or bad they are. but i doubt they are that expensive
+1

During the winters I live a block away from Brighton Ski Resort in Utah, ski a ton and have to say that Oakley stuff is amazing. It is pricer but completely worth it. I also really like the newer Nike 6.0 stuff. Very technical yet fashionable. Both Nike and Oakley have a younger look; don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing for you..

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
This shot into the sun I actually like strangely. It was from Whistler, BC today (opening weekend).

edit: oops wrong thread. meant to post it in the cell phone photo thread. had a few too many open at once... :lol:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had a member hook me up with an employee discount code at Columbia. Got 1k worth of stuff for 400 bucks.. Hell Yeah!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts