Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my quest for high protein, healthy foods, I came across an article somewhere about how good shark is for you. Amazingly, our butcher had some. I thought it would be hard as hell to find in small town Oklahoma..

But for $6.35 for 3 huge 1" thick filets, I figured I'd give it a shot..

My intention was to grill it but when I walked out to the grill, it had ran out of gas.. Damn..

So on to youtube.com for some "how to sear Shark in a pan" videos..

I have to say, this was BY FAR my best meal Ive ever made that was healthy.. It was very easy and VERY VERY tasty..

I let it come to room temperature then placed it in a ziploc bag with some olive oil, lime juice, garlic, sea salt and coarse ground pepper.

20 min later I laid it in the pan (that was as hot as possible) and seared it for about 45 seconds per side then moved it to medium heat for about 4 minutes a side.. I should have pulled it a little sooner because there was barely ANY pink left by the time it sat on the plate and finished cooking itself.

I sided it with some broccoli and cheese steamer mix and some brown rice..

The shark itself is literally draining when you cut into it, it was really good!

Tommorow night is Ahi Tuna seared (not NEAR as long as the shark)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Never had shark but you made me add it onto my To-Do list.

What was the flavor comparable to? If any?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its hard to say because of the overpowering of the garlic, but it wasn't fishy at all. It was the juiciest meat Ive ever had.. I hightly recommend it for making at home.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
we catch and eat shark all the time from the gulf.
good source of protein also very high in arginine, CLA and creatine

·
Registered
633 Posts
Close to swordfish or wahoo in taste and texture...meaty and good stuff. I am from the gulf coast and we used to catch, and cook and eat shark a lot. I even worked at a seafood place where we would use the fins of the white tips with cookie cutters to "simulate" scallops:lol:.

·
Registered
52 Posts
well this seems like a good enough thread for my first post, lol..I know a bit about sharks. I've never actually tried to eat one, mainly because I dont know how to fillet one or cook it, but I think now I'll give it a try!

one of the more recent catches

·
Registered
722 Posts
well this seems like a good enough thread for my first post, lol..I know a bit about sharks. I've never actually tried to eat one, mainly because I dont know how to fillet one or cook it, but I think now I'll give it a try!

:ahhh: :ahhh:

This is the coolest thing Ive seen on here...

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
You caught that on a simple rod and reel? Amazing.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts

Where'd you catch this bad boy?

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Mike shoot me a PM with the butcher I'm curious now.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine came from the butcher too and trust me, I'm FAR FAR FAR from any ocean.. lol, still came out pretty tasty!

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Shark is great, the texture is closer to a cut of beef, rather than flaky like most fish. It's a sturdier piece of fish for sure and it takes a marinade very well.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
i didnt think i could ever pull myself into eating shark, but i think ill try it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I doubt seriously from the surf on a rod and reel, but yes from a boat....a BIG boat hopefully...got to turn the engines on and tire em out.
Sorry, but you'd be wrong. lol, from the shore. We Kayak the baits out 3-600 yards, drop them, paddle back...wait for the clicker to scream. I'll post some pics of the tackle later tonight, its big, obviously not your average surf tackle. I'll throw in a few more pics of catches since you guys seem to like the one picture. Also, that one was caught right off Jacksonville Beach, FL.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts