Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SEMA urges action against Oregon bill that prohibits sale of aftermarket parts
At the request of Governor Theodore Kulongoski, the Oregon Speaker of the House has introduced legislation (H.B. 2186) to prohibit the sale and distribution of aftermarket motor vehicle parts if alternatives are available that “decrease greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.”
The bill is primarily focused on aftermarket tires and would authorize the Environmental Quality Commission to implement enforcement regulations, likely based on a rolling resistance calculation.

According to SEMA, which strongly opposes the bill:
• H.B. 2186 would regulate vehicle fuel economy, an authority reserved to the federal government.
• H.B. 2186 could ban tires that may have improved performance, handling or appearance features, based solely on a rolling resistance rating. In addition, this program could easily distract consumers from focusing on more important safety issues such as tire inflation and overloading of vehicles.
• H.B. 2186 would force consumers to purchase only original equipment manufacturer (OEM) tires because the program essentially exempts OEM-selected tires and unfairly implies that they are superior to aftermarket products.
• H.B. 2186 could prohibit aftermarket parts designed to either personalize or optimize specific vehicle performance attributes including handling, towing, suspension, fuel economy, etc.
• H.B. 2186 provides broad authority to government regulators and could limit a range of aftermarket parts currently available to consumers based on the subjective determination of government regulators.
SEMA urges those interested to contact Oregon Speaker Dave Hunt to voice opposition to H.B. 2186. Hunt
can be reached at 503-986-1440
or [email protected]

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I don't see how this would be legal. The govt sets the standards that tire manuf must meet, but I don't see how the govt can legally say that only tires from some manuf are allowed but tires from others aren't when both manuf tires meet DOT standards. In other words, how can the govt favor one manuf over another. That is the same as the govt saying only cars from ford are allowed to be sold, and cars from GM can't, even though GM cars meet all standards and regulations.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the main target behind this proposed bill is on big trucks. In Oregon we are known as the tree hugging Prius drivers and for a majority of capitol hill, that is true. Unfortunately this was written so poorly and vague that it includes basic transportation as well. The tire situation that they are referring to is in regards to rotational resistance. So say I have a Escalade and I decide to put 26" wheels and tires on it. The 26" package is going to be about 1.6 inches taller then OEM thus creating more rotational resistance and decreasing fuel efficiency. They want to also target any kind of aesthetic or performance based aftermarket part that would decrease fuel efficiencies. This bill was very poorly written and was attacked quickly when it was introduced to the house on Wednesday. They have agreed to do a re-write but I am sure with the lack of experience and information on our industry this will be a loose rewrite.

This in my opinion is what is wrong with our government. These bills they propose are so loose with so many items slipped in that there is no way we can win.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Don't underestimate the power of SEMA. They are good about staying on top of things like this and have a huge network of members (like myself) and when something like this lookes like it will be going to a vote they are awsome about emails and phone calls to rally support against the legislation

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
So they are basically trying to outlaw the entire auto customizing industry in Oregon? What happened to freedoms up there? They want everybody to drive identical and bland econoboxes. This is the new world order, eh? I don't want any part of it.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't underestimate the power of SEMA. They are good about staying on top of things like this and have a huge network of members (like myself) and when something like this lookes like it will be going to a vote they are awsome about emails and phone calls to rally support against the legislation
They have already begun! we are getting ready to ramp up just in case the re-write is not sufficient.

So they are basically trying to outlaw the entire auto customizing industry in Oregon? What happened to freedoms up there? They want everybody to drive identical and bland econoboxes. This is the new world order, eh? I don't want any part of it.

Yes they all wish we were driving Prius and Hybrid vehicles. I don't disagree with them from an environmental view but to say that they get to dictate the nature of your choices when it comes to vehicle accessories is ludicrous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts