Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I've been taking photos of my kids hockey teams and sharing them with the parents over the last 3 years. I enjoy doing it, although i do find myself missing "the game" when looking through the view finder. Anyways, I have been getting a lot of positive feedback lately. I'll be first to admit that i'm no pro, but i can take better pictures than most hockey parents. its got me thinking if i can get any money from it. Now, im not a business man and i'd feel strange charging my sons teamates for the photos, but maybe i can make some extra cash on other teams.

Now comes the part that I have no idea and thats selling them. So here is what I'm thinking, getting some business cards made and hand them out in the stands before or after the games or inbetween periods. Should I upload them to a photo site like smugmug or have them printed at my local photo store? Are any of the online photo sites better than the others? Do i charge extra for special editing like this? Or should i just keep it simple?

Any advise on how to get started would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'll pitch in on this a little. Smugmug is a good route to go, it eliminates having to run out get prints, take orders, and schedule time/set ups for people to view the pictures. They can just look at them online, order what they want, and boom it gets mailed to them. Business cards are important, because people will need to know where to go to view the pictures.

I wouldn't charge extra for editing it, just figure any editing time into the price of the pictures.

Hope this helps. Anymore questions just PM me.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
+1 on smugmug or similar. I also agree that charging your team for images isn't the best move, although yes you have every right to do so. I would feel weird doing that, a few parents on my teams took photos and they were always free (digital copies). Obviously you could charge for prints, and charge all other teams for digital copies.

Most hockey parents are perfectly willing to drop money on some nice pictures of their kids, so it shouldn't be difficult to do. I'd see if you can get your site posted on the hockey league/association's website. Also post a flyer and some business cards near the concessions at the rink maybe, and business cards are not a bad idea either. Also, I'd just keep it simple without special editing.

Big game tonight between my Wings and your big bad Bruins. Hour till puck drop!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, seems like I'm on the right path, we will see what happens.
Lidw4ll, yes is 20 minutes it's game time. I like how the schedule has the B's play 2 of my other favorite teams right off the bat (flyers & red wings).

·
Registered
569 Posts
If it's awkward charging parents on your own son's team - maybe consider giving a low-res jpeg to team/friend parents for free, then charge for prints or high-res copies; they could share the low res print on facebook or maybe print a 4x6, but they would need to pay you for higher quality copies and prints. That's always an option to not feel like a schmuck charging friends parents, but still leaves the opportunity available to make some money.

Agreed with everyone else on smugmug and business cards- you may need to pay some money to the rink/league to advertise, but it could be worthwhile if people buy from you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts