Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here interested in maybe picking up the M4? The specs are pretty impressive, I just don't know if I would want to sell my E92 M3 for one. I think I would rather use the money to buy a newer year E92 M3 and S/C it, or wait for a "competition package" to come out on the M4. Then again, my E92 just passed 66K miles so it might be time to upgrade to something new right when the M4 comes out. Just want to get some thoughts...what would you do? Here is the spec sheet for the M4 just in case you wanted to check it out.

Official BMW M3 M4 Specs: 430HP, 369+ LB-FT, Under 3306 Pounds, Bi-Turbo Inline 6 Cyl

·
Registered
492 Posts
Anybody here interested in maybe picking up the M4? The specs are pretty impressive, I just don't know if I would want to sell my E92 M3 for one. I think I would rather use the money to buy a newer year E92 M3 and S/C it, or wait for a "competition package" to come out on the M4. Then again, my E92 just passed 66K miles so it might be time to upgrade to something new right when the M4 comes out. Just want to get some thoughts...what would you do? Here is the spec sheet for the M4 just in case you wanted to check it out.

Official BMW M3 M4 Specs: 430HP, 369+ LB-FT, Under 3306 Pounds, Bi-Turbo Inline 6 Cyl
I mean personally I'm picking one up but I've never owned a e9x M3, I've driven one and that v8 is amazing, but it comes down if you'd be willing to sacrifice the v8 and go to a turbo car which is alot newer and features all the latest M technology.

·
Registered
141 Posts

I like the sound of the V8 in the E9x M3 and you can also supercharge if you want more power. I would upgrade to a newer E9x M3 to keep the V8.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The new M4 is nothing but a blown up 435i. The step to the N55 engine has nothing to do with "saving the economy" but much rather to save costs so they dont have to build super expensive bespoke high reving engines for their M-models. True, i have just sold my M3 E92, but i miss it already and may even get a nother one.

E92 over the new wannabe M car any day !!

Reactions: VR1

·
Registered
712 Posts
The new M4 is nothing but a blown up 435i. The step to the N55 engine has nothing to do with "saving the economy" but much rather to save costs so they dont have to build super expensive bespoke high reving engines for their M-models. True, i have just sold my M3 E92, but i miss it already and may even get a nother one.

E92 over the new wannabe M car any day !!
If the M4 is nothing but a blown up 435 then the E92 M3 is nothing but a E92 320 with a different engine...

And by "saving the economy" I guess you mean reducing the co2 emissions?
I would have liked that all the new M-cars would have high revving V8's and V10's just as much as the next guy, but to say that it's just for cost savings is just not true. Every single car company is downsizing and trying to reduce the gas consumption, even Ferrari is going to turbo charge their next gen cars.

Just be happy that it's not battery powered yet..

·
Registered
332 Posts
yes sure, but why can audi still have the 4.2 in the RS4/5 R8 ? and MB the 6.3 in the c63 and the NA 5.5 in the SLK ?. i think you catch my draft. its an M car, it should have a special engine too, dont care if its turbocharged or not. turbos can be awesome. But the engines in the new M-cars are just modified versions of their 35i and 50i models. And i find that bitterly disapointing.

Its all just to cut down on costs. believe me, i know.About half my friends work at BMW. There even was a developement halt for a few months on the new M3/4, because the M-GMBH and the BMW AG hat some sort of internal fight over the budget to develop a new engine for the car.

and yes....of course i meant to say "saving the environment" :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback... I agree that the M4 should have had a special engine. The E92 M3 has so much driving character, and so much road presence...I don't think I would be able to part with it. The M4 is a bit...soft imo. It will be a great car don't get me wrong.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback... I agree that the M4 should have had a special engine. The E92 M3 has so much driving character, and so much road presence...I don't think I would be able to part with it. The M4 is a bit...soft imo. It will be a great car don't get me wrong.

It's interesting you say that because after owning e60 M5 and E46 M3 i decided to pass on the E92 because after driving them i always felt it was to soft and too comfortable. with an exhaust the v8 wakes up and sounds amazing adding to the experience, but my big plan was to hold off till the next gen came out and like most of you have stated, i too am dissapointed. i never go into the S4, S5 audi's because although the 4.2 sounded amazing, there was so much disconnection between the super soft clutch and loose tranny. I really miss the stiff and responsiveness of the previous M's but i guess we just have to adapt to new technology. Sorry for the rant but Ive been questioning the same Issue as the OP with the new M's I just cant justify it. For me its saving for a P-Car or annother year or so for f10 M5, but my suggestion to you since thats the point of this Thread is M4 solely on the fact that its brand new and i like what bmw has done with everything except the engine.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've owned two E92 M3's and thought I was done with M's and was thinking of stepping it up for my next car, but I really like the look and spec's of the M4 so I might be getting one of those next.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts