Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Of course they're worth the price if you paid for them. If we're talking about are they actually worth a 1000% markup over the cost of materials and are you getting superior materials and lenses etc...then of course no. But, that's not why we as a population buy into high end brands. We buy into these brands and pay $500 for the latest Gucci shades because of the experience. There's cache that comes along with certain brands as opposed to others.

So if you pay $500 for some sunglasses, more power to you. Just make sure they look right on your face. I've lost track of all the times I walk around Manhattan and see Gucci and Dior frames that just look absolutely stupid on the wearer because they don't fit their face. You can buy high end glasses, just make sure they compliment your face.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is a mark up on the frames but you must also consider the expenses of everyone's hands it touches. manufacture-> global distributor ->local distributor -> sales rep-> store owner ->you. Everyone has to make a living. If you aren't comfortable buying $500 frames, don't buy them. If you can, you can pick up something made of wood, gold, horn and so on. But as a warning most name brands are licensed under Safilo or Luxottica or Marchon. But there are tons of smaller companies that make stuff that are really good quality.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I dont buy many anymore.

I do buy oakleys though. Not due to they are cool(which they are) but due to the lense that they use. Its a polarized lense which meets ANSI testing standards. Needed for certain jobs I do, as well as when riding a motorcycle

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
is anyone surprised? I always though people were stupid for paying that much for some plastic.

I bought my VonZippers for $30 off the area rep. They sell in stores for nealy $200 lol

·
Registered
901 Posts
yeh thats why you hold out and haggle the only glasses I think are kind of worth a few hundred would be chrome, hearts hand made metal and woood stems.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It's like a car, there is mark up. Whether by a lot or a little, it's your own opinion if you want to pay for the brand or just go with function.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Its like anything in that area though. Shoes, jeans, shirts. All of that shit is marked up. If you want it your gonna have to pay for it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its like anything in that area though. Shoes, jeans, shirts. All of that shit is marked up. If you want it your gonna have to pay for it.
Materialism and consumerism go hand in hand. People will pay anything.
Exploiting peoples materialistic nature pays handsomely to big brands. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I knew gucci was made by safilo which is why i nver buy from boutique.

I just picked up a pair of Louis Vuitton Attitude gold sunglasses, really great lenses. Dosent look like LV outsources their manufacturing..

·
Registered
379 Posts
i recently bought some gucci aviator glasses and i think they are worth the money because they look good and are made of light material

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I knew gucci was made by safilo which is why i nver buy from boutique.

I just picked up a pair of Louis Vuitton Attitude gold sunglasses, really great lenses. Dosent look like LV outsources their manufacturing..
The three main companies that make most glasses don't seem to make LV.
I should post a list of all the brands that are made by the top 3 companies

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
My buddy is a lab manager for Lenscrafters. He told me all about this little empire called Luxotica. I couldn't believe it! But the upside of being his buddy, I get 50% off my shit at lenscrafters and sunglasses hut. Just picked up a pair of Gucci and Burberry Shades for half off and got my prescription lenses done for half too. Still a rip off though... But less than full retail!

·
Registered
192 Posts
My buddy is a lab manager for Lenscrafters. He told me all about this little empire called Luxotica. I couldn't believe it! But the upside of being his buddy, I get 50% off my shit at lenscrafters and sunglasses hut. Just picked up a pair of Gucci and Burberry Shades for half off and got my prescription lenses done for half too. Still a rip off though... But less than full retail!
Gucci is Safilo. Burberry is by Lux. 50% at Lenscrafters is still expensive. You can go to a mom and pop place and get it at regular price for less. But it is still much much better than paying their retail prices.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts