Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last year or so I've pretty much giving up every alcohol but beer and whisky. And since then I've started to stockpile a collection of scotch that either friends have told me about or that I've done some research on. I'm sure there are some ballers on this site that have a seriously respectable collection. I'd like to start with sharing mine and hope that I can learn a few more that I might like.

Balvenie 12 Double Wood
Maccallan 12 Sherry Oak
Laphroaig 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Bowmore Tempest Batch 2
Glen Garioch 12

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have only been drinking scotch for the past couple years so I'm kind of a noob too. I just recently turned 21. My favorites are in no order

The Macallan 12
The Macallan 18
Cragganmore 12
Caol Ila 12
Talisker 10
Dalwhinnie 15
Lagavulin 16

Always neat and I use a Glencairn tasting glass. I would say my favorite is the Laga currently. I try to keep these on hand as well as some Black Label and Gold Label. I enjoy those blends. Just picked up some Highland Park 18 to try and gonna grab some type of Balvenie this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
old is usually better but i'd suggest buying outside of the 'major labels' - there's an entire world of artisan producers doing some interesting things.

locally here in the Bay Area, KL Wines has a very interesting selection in their stores; unfortunately, the web site just has johnny walker.

- chuck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also, I try not to be an elitist about anything but do not use ice or cool down your scotch in any way. The tastes and odors come from volatile organic compounds including several esters, aldehydes and alcohols that volatilize better as they warm. Chilling the spirit essentially suppresses the volatilization and thus dampens the flavor and smell. So paying $40 for a bottle of Macallan and then adding ice or chilling the bottle so you can't taste what you paid for doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have only been drinking scotch for the past couple years so I'm kind of a noob too. I just recently turned 21. My favorites are in no order

The Macallan 12
The Macallan 18
Cragganmore 12
Caol Ila 12
Talisker 10
Dalwhinnie 15
Lagavulin 16

Always neat and I use a Glencairn tasting glass. I would say my favorite is the Laga currently. I try to keep these on hand as well as some Black Label and Gold Label. I enjoy those blends. Just picked up some Highland Park 18 to try and gonna grab some type of Balvenie this weekend.
The Lagavulin 16 is really good. Nice collection I'll have to try a few of those.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
old is usually better but i'd suggest buying outside of the 'major labels' - there's an entire world of artisan producers doing some interesting things.

locally here in the Bay Area, KL Wines has a very interesting selection in their stores; unfortunately, the web site just has johnny walker.

- chuck
Chuck, you're searching in the wrong section of the K&L site. Spirits ==> Scotland ==> Malt will bring up hundreds of options........

K&L Wine Merchants - Search Results

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My value recommendation for the discussion:

Yamakazi 12 year. Scotch from Japan? What?
Thats what I thought as well, then I tried it. VERY good single malt for the money.

Check it out, if anything it will help diversify your collection.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
My value recommendation for the discussion:

Yamakazi 12 year. Scotch from Japan? What?
Thats what I thought as well, then I tried it. VERY good single malt for the money.

Check it out, if anything it will help diversify your collection.

Don

on the contrary, i've come to learn - when the Japanese do something - they only do it right. (some well-informed people would argue that both the best French & Italian restaurants are in... Tokyo :) )

- chuck

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
on the contrary, i've come to learn - when the Japanese do something - they only do it right. (some well-informed people would argue that both the best French & Italian restaurants are in... Tokyo :) )

- chuck
Food-wise....ABSOLUTELY.

Alcohol-wise....hit and miss. They're not always hip to the concept of "terroir" based on some Japanese attempts at red wine I tasted courtesy of a Beringer exec awhile back. "Mothballs" was the overriding characteristic that we tasted and smelled.........:tightlipped:

·
Registered
58 Posts
agreed. japanese beer is terrible.

with their whisky I have only tried yamazaki and I do approve. I would like to try other Japanese whiskies.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The Laphroaig Cairdeas 2009 12yo (57,5%, OB 2009, Feis Isle 2009) is INSANE. Too bad that I doubt you can find it anymore as it is a Feis Isle bottle and quite limited, but maybe if you're really lucky. It is the best whiskey I've ever tasted.. so pure, SO good. No water or ice needed, just the pure stuff, it's great.

Another personal favorite of mine is the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition from 1991 - amazing stuff.

Yayyy.. when shall we have a L4P whiskey meetup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my collection as of the moment
Macallan 12y
Macallan 18y (super good)
Balvenie 12y doublewood
Balvenie 21y (pride and joy)
Oban 14y (underrated but amazing)
Dalmore 12y
Johnny Walker black, for people who think they like scotch

·