Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at a few watches online that are really catching my eye. a couple vintage 50's Hamiltons, Bulovas, and Omegas. my big question is, are vintage watches kinda like vintage cars, in that, you have to find the exact make and model of a certain watch to be worth something?

for example:

Vintage 10K GF Hamilton Winding Watch 1950s EXLNT Condition Serviced | eBay

or

Bulova Accutron Spaceview 214 Stainless Steel Wristwatch with Mesh Accutron Band | eBay

now to me, these watches should be more than $350 (in my mind), as my last Hamilton cost me well over $500. Is there say (preparing for flaming here), a watch value book one can purchase to determine whether or not they are looking at a good deal?

Or is there much more involved in vintage watch collecting than someone can easily explain over the forum?

Any help is appreciated!

·
10,594 Posts
I think I'm just gonna start a special endowment for the education of the uninitiated. A vintage car that runs is "worth something"? Right? Beats taking the bus. A vintage watch that tells time is worth something right? Your going about it all wrong. You are looking at $300 watches yet you give an investment type of connotation when you speak. The answer to your question would take a long time to properly explain. But as for a book with values, yes, they exist. But again, they are merely guides. Market value is all that counts. I.E. What can I buy this watch for now? Only actual comparables will suffice. What you gonna tell the seller, "ya but the book says it should be selling for this much!" He'll tell ya real quick what to do with that book. In the price range your playing in, I would just have fun and buy what looks/sounds good. If you over pay you overpay by what, a whopping $100? BFD. I've lost $1000's on a single watch sale.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I realize after posting, that was probably a loaded question. I will just have to do a little more self Educating. thanks for giving me a quick response tho.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just purchased my first vintage last month.. a Bund Heuer... It was a nice hunt and alot of fun.. I can see the vintage thing being pretty addicting..

With vintage you really have to dig to find prices they have sold for.. Also there are fakes out there too because its just easier to fake a more simple watch..

If a watch price is to good to be true on Ebay.. Then it prob is..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts