Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,

I am having immense pain getting my satin wheels back to looking... well.... satin black again. They look satin gray actually. It looks like complete poop. Let the dealer keep the car for a few weeks during the summer and they said that they wash their vehicles with just soap and water but it looks as if the wheels have faded. I believe they may be just covered with a ton of brake dust, however. I have only had the wheels for like 5-6 months.

Anyway, any good recommendations for a brake dust remover/satin wheel cleaner? I used wheel cleaning soap and water... didn't work. Then used windex and water and it didn't help. Don't know why I did that, but I was desperate. :(

I am planning on using the BDP cleaner that is advertized by the Fonzie fellow who does all the plastidipping, and seeing if that works. If not, then I will follow that with actually plastidipping my wheels and then using the glossifier on that.

Any tips/suggestions/comments as to what to do?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a pic. It's pretty bad. Plus, it doesn't help when your sister scrapes the rim while trying to move the car. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
There are some pros here who might step in, but a few suggestions.
- Pick up a high quality wheel cleaner like Sonax Full Effect or Chemical Guys Sticky Gel Citrus. They do an excellent job loosening debris from the wheels which is important - the less effort you have to physically impart unto the surface, the better
- Apply the cleaner to a dry wheel and let it stand. Full Effect changes color from green to red as it works, but 3-5 minutes is generally sufficient.
- Get a bucket of water, your hose or pressure washer and a microfiber, wool, or soft brush to gently - gently! - go over the wheels' surfaces, rinsing regularly to wash any debris away.
- If you're so inclined, apply a sealant or wax to the wheels to help protect and mitigate debris buildup down the road.

I learned the hard way the importance of using 'better' detailing products and processes with our personal BMW's rims several years ago. I was using some no-name cleaner, wasn't giving it sufficient time to work, and then spent too much effort scrubbing; the result was deep scratches in the wheel clear coat. Never again! I personally use a bucket of rinse water with some car shampoo mixed in, and do the tires after the wheels to clean those as well, and the tires and wheels are always done before the res of the car.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Sonax definitely helps. Also washing off the brake dust as soon as it happens really helps because that stuff settles and becomes a part of the finish if you don't get rid of it ASAP!

Unfortunately, it may be too late for you :( Try sonax though!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate the tips. However, if I'm not able to fully get the dust off, should I go ahead with the plastidip and glossifier method for now? I really don't have the $1000 to get my rims repowdercoated (as I was quoted) as I just spent some money getting my bumpers fixed and vinyl wrap removed. Maybe in the future though..

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate the tips. However, if I'm not able to fully get the dust off, should I go ahead with the plastidip and glossifier method for now? I really don't have the $1000 to get my rims repowdercoated (as I was quoted) as I just spent some money getting my bumpers fixed and vinyl wrap removed. Maybe in the future though..
That's really up to you...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
There are some good detailers in Cali who you might pass this by. Sometimes some light corrective work can restore wheels' finish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts