Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've never used the Timex so I can't comment on it. I can however, give you a ton of insight into the Garmin. I've logged a ton of miles with mine and have enjoyed it 98% of the time.

Difference between the models is the 205 has no HR monitor, 305 does, 405 does and is the newest model / a different design. I have run with both the 205 and the 305 and an older model as well. Loved them all. If you are very serious about your training I would recommend a HR monitor model as it will help you to train at the optimal range for what your goal is. If you are just out for miles and time then no HR monitor is necessary.

205 has been my workhorse for about 3+ years now and I've really enjoyed it. Accurate within a high standard and picks up satellites with relative ease. I run a lot of trails as well and have had very minimal interference from heavy cover overhead. Lots of different modes and the history tracking is great. Its crucial to find a tracking website that you enjoy and gives you the data feedback you need. I am not overly picky and used the Garmin supplied software for a couple of years with no issues at all.

Any more questions just ask. As I said I've logged a ton of miles with these things and may have even been a performance trainer in a former career (seriously).

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you really want to run a marathon you can train in 3 months and be able to finish it. Personally, if you finished the half marathon at 10 minute mile pace I think you would be better staying with the shorter (but by no means actually short!) distance and just dropping your time a little bit.

Having no idea what kind of actual shape you are in or body type or anything else its tough to say. Go for whatever you feel comfortable with. The races will always be there for you so theres no rush to do a marathon or anything like that right out of the gate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts