Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
I trained with a foot pod and found it to be unreliable. It's only accurate it you never vary your stride. So if you run faster at some point or go uphill then it won't be correct. The best training tool that I used was Google Earth with a Nike Triax Fury 100 watch. I would map out a run with a start/finish at the required distance for that day and then timed myself with the watch. I use to train with a buddy of mine that used a Garmin and it was the closest thing to accurate that he ever used. Still not as accurate as pre-mapping but if you like to run to random locations then I'd go with a Garmin and stay away from the pedometers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've never used the Timex so I can't comment on it. I can however, give you a ton of insight into the Garmin. I've logged a ton of miles with mine and have enjoyed it 98% of the time.

Difference between the models is the 205 has no HR monitor, 305 does, 405 does and is the newest model / a different design. I have run with both the 205 and the 305 and an older model as well. Loved them all. If you are very serious about your training I would recommend a HR monitor model as it will help you to train at the optimal range for what your goal is. If you are just out for miles and time then no HR monitor is necessary.

205 has been my workhorse for about 3+ years now and I've really enjoyed it. Accurate within a high standard and picks up satellites with relative ease. I run a lot of trails as well and have had very minimal interference from heavy cover overhead. Lots of different modes and the history tracking is great. Its crucial to find a tracking website that you enjoy and gives you the data feedback you need. I am not overly picky and used the Garmin supplied software for a couple of years with no issues at all.

Any more questions just ask. As I said I've logged a ton of miles with these things and may have even been a performance trainer in a former career (seriously).

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never used the Timex so I can't comment on it. I can however, give you a ton of insight into the Garmin. I've logged a ton of miles with mine and have enjoyed it 98% of the time.

Difference between the models is the 205 has no HR monitor, 305 does, 405 does and is the newest model / a different design. I have run with both the 205 and the 305 and an older model as well. Loved them all. If you are very serious about your training I would recommend a HR monitor model as it will help you to train at the optimal range for what your goal is. If you are just out for miles and time then no HR monitor is necessary.

205 has been my workhorse for about 3+ years now and I've really enjoyed it. Accurate within a high standard and picks up satellites with relative ease. I run a lot of trails as well and have had very minimal interference from heavy cover overhead. Lots of different modes and the history tracking is great. Its crucial to find a tracking website that you enjoy and gives you the data feedback you need. I am not overly picky and used the Garmin supplied software for a couple of years with no issues at all.

Any more questions just ask. As I said I've logged a ton of miles with these things and may have even been a performance trainer in a former career (seriously).
thanks for the input.. I finished my first half marathon last month at 10 minute pace, and looking into running a full marathon then work on my pace at the same time.. any input on whether I should run half marathon at a faster pace or do full marathon first? I have 3 months:)

i've seen some good sales on the 305, so i might pick that up.. not sure if it's worth it to get a 405..

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you really want to run a marathon you can train in 3 months and be able to finish it. Personally, if you finished the half marathon at 10 minute mile pace I think you would be better staying with the shorter (but by no means actually short!) distance and just dropping your time a little bit.

Having no idea what kind of actual shape you are in or body type or anything else its tough to say. Go for whatever you feel comfortable with. The races will always be there for you so theres no rush to do a marathon or anything like that right out of the gate.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had an older version of that and it was crap. I run near power lines and the HR part would not work reliably. I have used both the Garmin and Polar products since then, both are great. Frankly, I train by HR so I don't care about GPS data. If I had that I would just try to run to that instead of following the training plan, to competitive I guess... :)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I know Nike has a little thingy you can put into your shoe that will track the distance... then you can wear a nike band around your arm which will tell you your heart rate etc.

it calculates calories burned, heart rate, and distance as a package. Then you can upload it to Nike's website and keep track of it all. Really cool actually!

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know Nike has a little thingy you can put into your shoe that will track the distance... then you can wear a nike band around your arm which will tell you your heart rate etc.

it calculates calories burned, heart rate, and distance as a package. Then you can upload it to Nike's website and keep track of it all. Really cool actually!
thanks I know I pledge on the lunatik ipod nano watch...so maybe someone will give me that nike thingy plus shoes for xmas..LOL
although i use Brooks for distance running:)

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you really want to run a marathon you can train in 3 months and be able to finish it. Personally, if you finished the half marathon at 10 minute mile pace I think you would be better staying with the shorter (but by no means actually short!) distance and just dropping your time a little bit.

Having no idea what kind of actual shape you are in or body type or anything else its tough to say. Go for whatever you feel comfortable with. The races will always be there for you so theres no rush to do a marathon or anything like that right out of the gate.
thanks for the advice, really appreciated...

I had an older version of that and it was crap. I run near power lines and the HR part would not work reliably. I have used both the Garmin and Polar products since then, both are great. Frankly, I train by HR so I don't care about GPS data. If I had that I would just try to run to that instead of following the training plan, to competitive I guess... :)
thanks... yes i wanted to monitor my pace and hr at the same time.. i want to work on endurance and start running faster as well..

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Today I did my FIRST 1.6 mile run in well over a year. I did P90X from April to June last year and did nothing up until 7 weeks ago. I have been weight lifting again and enjoying it so MUCH. I used to run average 4 miles. 1.6 was tough!

I went from 174lbs to 220. I'm back down to 199. This time I plan to get really built AND have cardio endurance.

Not to thread jack, I just had to write it somewhere. This seemed fitting. :)

I have a pair of Nike LunarGlideII+ which I have fallen in love with. Great pair of running shoes. I want to start documenting how much I run and my heart rate etc. I document what I lift, so why not what I run??! I should have goals to beat my running times/distances as well my weights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts