Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly getting lured towards getting a Tesla next year if it's within our budget. Who here has one and what have you done to it? The majority of the cars I've seen are pretty much just wheels and tint, what would you like to see become available for your car? Aero, Suspension, etc? :)

19durqidnlu6njpg.jpg
Credit: Jalopnik / Kinja

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think tesla owners want to do stuff like that on their tesla. IMO they just can't go together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have to disagree, respectfully. There are a hand full of companies that are pioneering the tuning scene for Teslas and I think it's just a matter of time until we see companies releasing some really cool new bits. The car I posted above has "lowering links", and although it is mostly an aesthetic upgrade, I imagine there will soon be coilover suspension kits, upgraded brakes, etc. I'm excited to see what becomes available for the car as time goes on!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
there is a standard option for air suspension. why would you purchase one with standard suspension just to tear it out and change it?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
there is a standard option for air suspension. why would you purchase one with standard suspension just to tear it out and change it?
Im making an assumption here because I am not that up on all the technicals in Tesla's. But based on past experience I would gather that someone would buy a 'standard' suspension Tesla if they had the mindset on changing it from the get go. Usually air suspensions cost more, are heavier and often lack the level of refining you can get from a set of coilovers.

If aesthetics are your thing, again I wouldn't but a car with a factory equipped air ride suspension either. The factory systems are designed for a smooth ride and minimal (and usually automatic) adjustments to improve loading and ride quality. You are better off buying the cheaper 'standard' suspension, ripping it out and installing an after market air ride system so you have manual adjustability and can get the right aesthetic look

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
air ride height in teslas is manually adjustable, and last I saw, the option was around $1500. Not a bad deal if you ask me to have fully adjustable suspension. Weight isn't exactly a legitimate argument in my opinion considering how heavy the car already is with the batteries.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im making an assumption here because I am not that up on all the technicals in Tesla's. But based on past experience I would gather that someone would buy a 'standard' suspension Tesla if they had the mindset on changing it from the get go. Usually air suspensions cost more, are heavier and often lack the level of refining you can get from a set of coilovers.
Hit the nail square on the head! From what I've gathered there are a lot more Tesla owners who come from automotive racing or "spirited driving enthusiast" backgrounds, who want to customize and tune their Teslas similarly to what they've enjoyed on their other sports cars. I did a similar thing back in 2006 when I bought a Lancer Evolution RS and basically built the car the way I wanted to without having to initially pay more for crap I didn't want. I've already been talking with a couple of companies who will be selling some pretty cool products that they have been developing for the car.

With that said, I do see your point Derek, for the price, the air suspension is a good value compared to other manufacturers. I think a lot of purists (and I understand the slight irony in that word because the car is electric), will prefer to be able to set up the car the way they want instead of just having to settle with a comfortable but boring 4-wheeled tax credit. :)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
My only real arguments were that weight savings is pointless to even discuss considering how heavy of a car we are talking about to begin with, and that fully adjustable air suspension isn't exactly unresponsive and boring. May not be the super stiff race set-up you would put on a track day car, but that goes back to point one. It's not built to be even remotely close to a track day car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm on the waiting list, and my number should be called very soon. I'm only getting a Tesla to get from point A to point B. No flash or anything.

·
Registered
653 Posts
just chatted with some Tesla reps today. The "supercharger" and battery swap stations make this brand more and more exciting.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The rich guy will be the one that comes up with LS engine kit, shit is too quiet to ever last.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, LS fits in everything! I think someone dropped an LS into an FRS and people pretty much lost their minds. I've connected with a couple of companies that are putting together some really cool Aero and suspension setups, alongside with some neat wheel options. Once there are more supercharger stations and Tesla finally releases it's more budget friendly models, then it's gonna get wild. Kind of like when gas-powered cars were just getting started and making it across the country was dependent on if you could find a gas station between fill ups ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts