Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I wanted to start a thread all about Rivian as there seems to be so much excitement around the trucks.

We actually have a sister-site for Rivian here.

And if you've ordered one, be sure to add your info to the order track here:

Do you think Rivian is the next Tesla?

Here's a great First drive review from a future owner.

In case you missed out, Rivian did offer a Directed Share program for reservation holders to buy stock at the IPO price.

·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A very few deliveries have already happened, but Rivian appears to be ramping up.

Many employees are getting vehicles first, but here's one that isn't an employee

The R1T is in production first and the actual release date was a big question for a long time.

Originally Rivian said deliveries would happen in 2020, but then that got pushed to June of 2021, with the R1S in August.

·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For those not in the US, Rivian is planning a global expansion.

Vehicles are expected to be supped to Canada about 6 months behind the US.

Rivian confirmed in 2019 that it was planning to sell smaller models in markets like Europe and China.

For its European expansion Rivian is actually looking to manufacture vehicles there. They have even looked at purchasing an old Nissan plant in Spain.

Online ordering is planned for Europe in early 2022

This European expansion will eventually include the middle east and Africa too.

Rivian has also confirmed that it will sell the R1T and R1S in both Australia and New Zealand.
Rvian's Amazon delivery vans have been spotted there testing.
The R1T pickup truck was also spied at an airport in New Zealand.

·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're curious about Rivian stock... there's a discussion area over here for it here.

People have been asking how to buy Rivian stock as early as October of 2019. And there was a lot of discussion about the stock price prediction.

One of the big reasons is the Directed Share Program that let pre-order holders in the US buy up to 175 shares each, at the IPO price.

The IPO price was set at $78 per share which quickly jumped to almost double that. It has come down quite a bit since then.

On the Rivian forum, there's a survey showing roughly 86% of reservation holders decided to participate in the DSP.

You can keep tabs on it yourself by following the RIVN ticker symbol. And join the debate on if and when it's a good buy here.

If you are thinking long term, you might be more interested in the 2025 stock price discussion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm excited to see the rollout of the fast-charging network. If anyone spots one go up in Southern Ontario, please let me know!

·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cool piece about how towing affects range and performance

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rivian picked up a win as Edmunds Top Rated Editor's Choice, which I guess means it's the vehicle their in-house reviewers liked the most? It's the first year for Edmunds doing awards like this, I think, and it's just going to take us a while to figure out how to think of these awards vs. all the other car publication's various "Of The Year" awards.
Still, congrats to Rivian!

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you missed Edmunds' initial R1T road test from back in November, it's worth a watch:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anybody got shares in Rivian? Sounds like the market wasn't too happy about the quarterly earnings today

·
Registered
30 Posts
It looks from these EPA documents that the Rivians won't be coming with a heat pump, which is a bummer for Canadian folks like myself.

·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exciting to see the R1S deliveries have also now begun. Love this SUV!

·
Registered
30 Posts
This video shows the Driver+ automated driving system in action on an R1T.

I still find it crazy to watch any of these systems show the driver what they're seeing - but then it's also kinda odd to see vehicles appear and disappear from the car's display, which makes me a little concerned about how ready this is for real world driving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The very first R1S deliveries have finally happened, with the first two vehicles going to the CEO and CFO.

This seems to be the pattern for Rivian. Despite R1T deliveries happening for some time now, it took until just a week or so ago for any to be delivered to customers who aren't employees.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Comparison time!

I've been staring at this photo of a Rivian R1t parked next to a Hummer EV. You can really see how much wider the Hummer is, but what's interesting is that they both carry very large battery packs.

Then there's this thread breaking down the pros and cons of the Rivian R1S vs the Hummer EV SUV vs the Tesla Cybertruck from someone who's put a lot of thought into using each for camping and light off-roading.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On the stock front, it's been a rough week for Rivian, though it did claw back some of the losses as of the end of trading today.
This thread offers some interesting insights into how the community thinks about the volatility (my read, they're definitely committed but not nearly as all-in as Tesla people).

This thread too, where a user talks about how much they've lost is pretty interesting to read.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts