Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well thinking I am finally ready to take the next step with the GF (been 4 years). I found a possible ring that we looked at on Friday and just wanted to bounce the specs off some more knowledgeable people than myself.

Stone:
1.22 Princess cut E SI1

Setting:
Princess channel .93 TW (band and ring)

After some talking they quoted me $5.5k with a possible cash discount.

The price/quality seemed pretty good but I am pretty much a diamond newb.... :eek:hwell:

Anything I should ask about before making a deal?

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
There is jewelers on here that will top that for sure. That is not that good of a deal especially if it's in gold. You could do much more for the money. Contact J Wade or David C.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Too much in my opinion. Is the diamond GIA or EGL certified? What are the polish and symmetry ratings? What is the cut rating? (Good, V. Good, Excellent, Ideal). All these play into the value.

Has your girl chosen the princess cut? Personally I love asschers, more rare but more expensive.

I agree you should be paying less for an SI1. Also white gold is not expensive, if it is set in platinum that is another story.

Have you seen the diamond? Are the flaws visible to the naked eye, loope, microscope, etc.

Also, where are you shopping? Retail store at the mall, jeweler, wholesale, etc.

Here is an example of a similar stone at internet "retail".

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too much in my opinion. Is the diamond GIA or EGL certified? What are the polish and symmetry ratings? What is the cut rating? (Good, V. Good, Excellent, Ideal). All these play into the value.

Has your girl chosen the princess cut? Personally I love asschers, more rare but more expensive.

I agree you should be paying less for an SI1. Also white gold is not expensive, if it is set in platinum that is another story.

Have you seen the diamond? Are the flaws visible to the naked eye, loope, microscope, etc.

Also, where are you shopping? Retail store at the mall, jeweler, wholesale, etc.

Here is an example of a similar stone at internet "retail".
The Diamond is EGL certified, it would be set in white gold.

Specs were as follows:
6.12 - 6.08 x 3.85 mm

Total Depth 63.5%
Table width 73%
Crown Height 6%
Pavilion Depth 51%
Girdle: S.TK POL
Polish: Very Good
Symm: Very good
Clar: SI1
Grain: Nil
Color: E

They also offered to also have it GIA certified.

I looked at it though a loop and saw only one inclusion that sort of stood out the rest were pretty negligible. By naked eye it looked great.

It is from a local “wholesaler” that me and my girlfriend happened to walk by on Friday, I decided to let her play and this was the setting and stone she combined to her liking.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
That's a pretty high price for an SI1, especially from a wholesaler. Shop around before you make such a huge investment. Princess cut stones are by no means rare, so you shouldn't have issue finding a VS2 for around the same price.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Yeah, after that description without at GIA cert, I would keep looking.

Believe it or not one of the best places to get a deal on a diamond is Costco. Check there website for single stones or solitaires delivered on a presentation band to the location of your choice for inspection, no obligation to buy.

Costco - Exclusive Collection for Warehouse Shipment Only

Costco - Jewelry - Solitaires

I'm glad to hear you were looking with your girl. It always surprises me when guys show up with a ring and cut style without ever consulting with their girl.

Also if you are looking for a conflict free diamond, stick to ones that are already cert'ed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts