Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had the pleasure?

I've recently become obsessed with finding a way to experience this. It's on my bucket list 100% now.

Only place I've found is in the US in prop planes, and in MiG's in Russia for $11k.

Anybody know of any other options? Who do I need to get to know?! :lol:

Think I'm going to an airshow next weekend just to get my fix! :lol:

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Outside of MiGs in Russia, this is the best I've found:

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either this is a really naive question or impossible...

There is no way no one else isn't super interested in this?!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow.

I hate you. :lol:

How do you manage that?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I flew in an F-16 once while I was in the Air Force. I was an F-16 crew chief. It was something we got to do called incentive flights. It was awesome!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wow.

I hate you. :lol:

How do you manage that?
We were asked (I was a weapons team chief on 15's) to send some of our 15's out to SA to help train their 16's. We did almost 100 sorties and demolished the 16's every time. There would be 2 Vipers to each Eagle and we would still kill them. They made us use guns only for a while haha, still a victory for us. Our radar and locking capabilities are just far greater, the Vipers can out maneuver us but cannot out maneuver a 9X coming at them when they are out of flare.

But yeah, it was a blast flying that. I could go into more detail but it's a whole lot easier to talk about it rather than type.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is so cool.

Any suggestions for civilians to get into something like that? Is it even possible?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'd do almost anything to go up in a fighter jet. I've wanted to since i was a kid.

I've been up in a Royal Navy Lynx helicopter when I was in the CCF at High School, that was pretty damn cool.

I also have a crazy desire to go up in a Chinook, I used to get them flying over my old office, every time I heard one I'd be at the window! Just something about them that I think is incredible.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Either this is a really naive question or impossible...

There is no way no one else isn't super interested in this?!
I'm definitely super interested in this as well! I have a few friends in the air force, and they tell me it's hard even for them to get up in one of those things.
I'd imagine it's possible for a civilian, but very improbable. Sorry I couldn't be very much help. :(

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yeah, it's hard for us to get up there, even tougher for a civilian. You either have to know a commander of a Fighter Squadron or someone else with a lot of pull, or be famous and get offered a ride, like Jeremy Clarkson in the F15 or Tom Cruise in the F14 and F16.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah, it's hard for us to get up there, even tougher for a civilian. You either have to know a commander of a Fighter Squadron or someone else with a lot of pull, or be famous and get offered a ride, like Jeremy Clarkson in the F15 or Tom Cruise in the F14 and F16.
Clarkson gets to have all the fun!

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
nowhere near a fighter jet but i did Air Combat a few years ago. the things those planes do absolutely defy any rational sense of physics - highly recommended as a start.

i pulled 6gs for an instant, upside down, in a stall, plunging towards the earth. the guy i was 'fighting' kept barfing. it ain't easy, especially if you're 6ft or taller - a brutal workout.

Air Combat USA ? Fighter Pilot for a Day: The Leader in Air to Air Combat Flying Adventures

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great recommendation. I had seen the prop plane dogfighting places but hadn't heard any first hand experiences.

I do hear it's intense, but once I set my mind to something... :lol:

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
When I went to Israel we had a friend who was a pilot and I got to sit in an active F16, but that was about it. Would love to actually fly in one...

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone with more knowledge than me...

Would you opt for the Phantom or Skyhawk? The A4 looks like it'd be faster/more maneuverable, thus more fun. Although I suspect no matter what I'll be puking my guts out! :lol:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Anyone with more knowledge than me...

Would you opt for the Phantom or Skyhawk? The A4 looks like it'd be faster/more maneuverable, thus more fun. Although I suspect no matter what I'll be puking my guts out! :lol:
I go for the Phantom any day of the week. Unfortunately due to new FAA regs the Collings foundation can't offer flights to anyone who is not already rated in certain ways. To fly in the Phantom you must already be multi turbine engine rated as well as a few other criteria. The A4 is the same way. They will never be allowed to sell rides in the 262 or F-100 no matter what.

·
Premium Member
17,966 Posts
There are a few Jet Fighter Pilots on the 4.... I am still waiting for my ride as this is on the life long to do bucket list for me as well...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts