Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does removing the mufflers cause damage to the car? How would if effect performance? I assume it would be just fine, and improve performance, just based on the weight loss of heavy mufflers? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Does removing the mufflers cause damage to the car? How would if effect performance? I assume it would be just fine, and improve performance, just based on the weight loss of heavy mufflers? What do you guys think?
Not sure if this question is serious? The car will be extremely loud, depending on the model of car you can throw a check engine light. Depending on the state you live in you might be in violation of emissions laws.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, i know its illegal, but im talking from a performance point of view. Will it be positive or negative?

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
There is no "positive" to simply hack sawing the muffler off.

·
Registered
600 Posts
the muffler does what it's named, it muffles the sound to make the car quieter.

no it doesn't cause damage to the car.
your car will perform the same.
it doesn't improve performance.

if your car sounds good without mufflers, take them off.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Removing mufflers will reduce backpressure and make the car run slightly leaner even tho the ecu tries to correct. You will deffinately loose low end tq.

A forced induction car you want as little backpressure as possible. In this case you want straight pipes. I ran a 100% straight exhaust on a built evo x I had running 35psi.

·
Registered
508 Posts
This guy knows what he is talking about.

Removing mufflers will reduce backpressure and make the car run slightly leaner even tho the ecu tries to correct. You will deffinately loose low end tq.

A forced induction car you want as little backpressure as possible. In this case you want straight pipes. I ran a 100% straight exhaust on a built evo x I had running 35psi.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts

:bitenails:

please don't post if you have no idea what you are talking about.

and see this below for the correct answer:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
As posted by TheYoungConnoisseur, that is exactly what removing a muffler can do. In all 50 states, straight pipe exhaust is illegal. However, it is rarely enforced unless the car is so loud it's obvious. If you have regular emission checks, you'll have to bolt your muffler back on when you go in for an emissions test. Removing the muffler will usually increase performance, however tuning is sometimes required. It all depends on the car. Anytime you restrict the flow of exhaust gases, you are causing back pressure which negatively impacts combustion. The exhaust in the chambers isn't completely emptying when there is a restriction on exhaust flow. The faster and more efficiently you can remove the exhaust, the cleaner and more efficient the next combustion will be. This is where scavenging becomes important with the exhaust, you want to design the exhaust so that there is a vacuum in the exhaust. This suction pulls the exhaust gasses out quicker, which is why equal length headers are so important. You need an equal length on all the exhaust pipes in the headers in order to have proper scavenging. The time it takes the exhaust in one pipe to reach the collector has to be the same as the next pipe, and so on for every single pipe in the headers. You can't time that, so you have to base it off of length. Then you get to collector design and which is more efficient for an engine. Example, V8 with a total of 3 collectors (4 into 2 into 1) per header, 2 pipes into one collector and then the pipe from that, into another collector. Or 4 (pipes) into 1 collector.

Just cutting off your muffler will most likely result in a louder exhaust note with maybe a few horsepower gain, but nothing you'll notice. You'll just hear more of your engine, which can be bad. Not all engines sound great without the muffler. If you really want to get into performance with your vehicle, changing out the whole exhaust system is a must. You need to get rid of your exhaust manifold and replace it with headers. Then get a cat-back exhaust, usually these two things are sold together as a kit. No real use in a cat-back exhaust with the stock exhaust manifold for useful performance gains.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reason im asking is because i have magnaflow mufflers on my cl, and i was thinking about removing the mufflers for a louder/ nicer sound. Thanks on the input fellas

·
Registered
600 Posts
honestly, the changes in running mufflers or no mufflers in a daily driver car is very minimal that it doesn't really matter.

you live in CA, aren't they strict on cars? I run a straight pipe from the cat back using stock piping and i haven't gotten any trouble from any police.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Reason im asking is because i have magnaflow mufflers on my cl, and i was thinking about removing the mufflers for a louder/ nicer sound. Thanks on the input fellas
You live in CA, so you have regular emissions checks. Don't be surprised if removing your muffler results in your car failing its next test. Honestly, I'd get a nice exhaust kit for your ride. Get rid of your exhaust manifold and I think you'll hear a lot more of your engine. Exhaust manifolds can be very restrictive and they do not allow scavenging. As long as the headers you put on your ride are designed for the street, you won't have any issues with emissions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive an 07 cts 3.6 and I cut my mufflers off. Gave a slight hp gain but the sound is amazing. You honestly feel like the hp is way higher just based off the sound. With that being said, this is not the case for all cars. Go through forums and do research on your specific make n model to see if you like the sound change. Also get smogged right before you do it because you WILL NOT PASS SMOG. On the CTS tho it’s definitely a head turner!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts