Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just very recently gotten bit by the watch bug. I don't want to get too deep into a big watch collection, but I am looking for one in the $10k range. I don't want a Rolex, as it seems like a Porsche - everyone has one (including my wife).
The style I like are AP's but there are so many of those to choose from. I prefer a limited edition watch with exclusivity (kind of like my cars). I also prefer a watch that will hold value.
So the watch that recently caught my eye is the Linde Werdelin Oktopus II.
Any other recommendations?
Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Strap Watch accessory

Sent from my CGT

·
7,022 Posts
Several Panerai options in that price range.

Its always hard to predict which newer pieces will "hold their value." And with pieces that have a known history in the market (PAM 249, for example), you need to be diligent in researching the market and buy it right. If you buy it right, you should have no problem with holding the value of a known entity.

The only AP near your budget that I would consider is a 15400 or perhaps the steel diver; but the 15400 viability in terms of maintaining value is not exactly known (steel diver is more established). And your budget fits that only in the gray market.

There are also good selections from Jaeger, Blancpain and Glashutte. Depends on your taste. 10k budget is a very nice place to be; many selections.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Several Panerai options in that price range.

Its always hard to predict which newer pieces will "hold their value." And with pieces that have a known history in the market (PAM 249, for example), you need to be diligent in researching the market and buy it right. If you buy it right, you should have no problem with holding the value of a known entity.

The only AP near your budget that I would consider is a 15400 or perhaps the steel diver; but the 15400 viability in terms of maintaining value is not exactly known (steel diver is more established). And your budget fits that only in the gray market.

There are also good selections from Jaeger, Blancpain and Glashutte. Depends on your taste. 10k budget is a very nice place to be; many selections.
Yes I've been perusing AP's and would have to spend at least $15k for a decent one which I don't mind doing. But it seems like there are 1000's of AP's. How does one sift through all of these?
This one seemed nice...
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Sent from my CGT

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If I had 10k to spend on a watch, this would be the one:

Wow that movement looks amazing.
You've got my interest peaked in skeleton watches!

Anybody have any feedback/info on Perrelet?

Sent from my CGT

·
Registered
641 Posts
Eddie, do more a few more lipo and go for one of the new 42 mm APs. So tits. Hit up our mutual friend, he loves the AP.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How big are your wrists? I'd be wearing an IWC Big Pilot.
Not that big...I'm 5'7" 140 lbs.

Here's an example of a Vintage Heuer on my wrist....

Sent from my CGT

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eddie, do more a few more lipo and go for one of the new 42 mm APs. So tits. Hit up our mutual friend, he loves the AP.
Hahah yea I am realizing that to really have a good collection it's one of the big 3. I'll definitely hit him up...didn't know he had AP's.

But as a stepping stone I'm wondering if a skeleton Maurice Lacroix, Chronoswiss, or Perrelet may do.... Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Sent from my CGT

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I'm really looking at Benzinger but these are very hard to source in the U.S.
Anyone here from Germany?

Sent from my CGT

·
Registered
848 Posts
$10,000 gives you quite a few options.

As in the other thread, I'd go with one of the LWs that you liked. For $10k I'm not sure you'll be looking at many watches that will hold their value long term, unless it's a limited edition, maybe a few Rolexs or APs as well but that is because of their brand recognition.

I really love the Spidolite. While I like the Oktopus the Spidos just seem cooler to me. Plus the only limited edition Oktopus (I believe) is the Moon Tattoo and that's about 4x what you're looking to spend.

Anyways, here is what I would pick up. I actually plan to get one as soon as I can sell my AP.

News: Linde Werdelin SpidoLite II Titanium and Gold. North America Special Edition of 15 Out Now. — WATCH COLLECTING LIFESTYLE

http://perpetuelle.wpengine.netdna-...Linde-Werdelin-SpidoLite-II-Ti-Gold-US-LE.jpg

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
LW or Romain Jerome Skylab - If you want to save a few bucks, wait for one with minimal wear to hit the market. They're offered in different finish options, as well.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$10,000 gives you quite a few options.

As in the other thread, I'd go with one of the LWs that you liked. For $10k I'm not sure you'll be looking at many watches that will hold their value long term, unless it's a limited edition, maybe a few Rolexs or APs as well but that is because of their brand recognition.

I really love the Spidolite. While I like the Oktopus the Spidos just seem cooler to me. Plus the only limited edition Oktopus (I believe) is the Moon Tattoo and that's about 4x what you're looking to spend.

Anyways, here is what I would pick up. I actually plan to get one as soon as I can sell my AP.

News: Linde Werdelin SpidoLite II Titanium and Gold. North America Special Edition of 15 Out Now. — WATCH COLLECTING LIFESTYLE

http://perpetuelle.wpengine.netdna-...Linde-Werdelin-SpidoLite-II-Ti-Gold-US-LE.jpg
Wow Chris! Now that piece right there is amazing....I agree it is much more elegant than an Oktopus. Where can I source one?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Came across another interesting watch, Hublot Classic Automatic Fusion Skeleton

Sent from my CGT

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
View attachment 131857

I know it's a very different style from what you posted, but I think this will set you back a little over $10k (but not much from memory). Limited to 1,000 pieces I believe, and in my opinion is an absolutely sick, unique looking watch.

http://www.breitlingforbentley.com/en/collection/bentley-light-body-qp-midnight-carbon/presentation/
Do own a Breitling already so will try something different.

I am leaning now towards VC Overseas Dual Time, little over budget but oh well :)

Sent from my CGT

Reactions: Chris796
1 - 20 of 26 Posts