Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Mercedes-Benz ML320 and I was driving the other day with the radio a little too loud and it stopped working. I turned the radio back on to discover that it would play but at a very low volume and would not go any higher. The next day. I discovered that all other sources work(AM, Cassette, CD, Ect.) it seems like the FM source was able to play but not at a high volume. Today I was messing around with it and I found out that while the car is cranking the FM radio play normal but when it turns over it goes back to being really low. Anybody know what could be wrong? I doubt its a blown fuse because the radio wouldn't play at all.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Could be the FM signal amp getting grounded or acting up.
Could also be the mic in the rear view mirror going bad.
I'd personally have the head unit replaced with an aftermarket one if it becomes an intermittent issue

·
Registered
610 Posts
With respect, and at the risk of sounding trollish, it could also be that it's a 2000 ML. You've about hit terminal value for that chassis.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
With respect, and at the risk of sounding trollish, it could also be that it's a 2000 ML. You've about hit terminal value for that chassis.
x2
Used to have an early ML, quite literally a hunk of junk. Over the term of the lease, it probably had more electrical gremlins than miles on it.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
x2
Used to have an early ML, quite literally a hunk of junk. Over the term of the lease, it probably had more electrical gremlins than miles on it.
There still junk I wanna get rid of mine but cant at this moment this year alone I've spent 5k on getting it fixed.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I had the head unit rebuilt in my '03 ML by Becker Autosound in NJ - About $400. I cracked my windshield trying to get the rear view mirror housing off to check out the microphone in there...and that was NOT the cause.

The cheapest aftermarket retro-fit I could find was about $1100. A new head unit alone won't do it - they have to replace ALL the speakers too and bypass the Bose amp [if you have one] AND the CD changer, as MB used 2ohm speakers and they are not compatible with most aftermarket units.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts