Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatever you owned or own as long as it's a Porsche coupe (Boxter, Cayman, Carerra, Turbo, GTRXYZ, etc ...)

How is the car for the every day? Bumps, humps, getting in and out gas stations and services, drive through, etc ...

Anything worthy to know that a 30 mins test drive won't tell ...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I daily drive my Cayman and have not had a single issue in the 3 years I've had it. Since it's a sports car the suspension can be a teeny bit rougher than you might be used to, but it's by no means bone jarring (unless you get a GT3, they are a bit tighter for sure). Speed bumps and steep driveways can be a bit tricky, but for the most part there is plenty of clearance in the front for most everyday obstacles.

In the Northeast, I would def say get heated seats and a set of snow tires. A few inches of snow shouldn't hamper you getting about town, but if you get a nor'easter it might be best to park it until the roads are cleared.

The only thing the test drive won't tell you is how big of a smile you will get every single day you drive Porsche! Again, after almost 3 years of ownership I still look forward to putting that key in the ignition and going for a drive.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Sadly they work pretty much everywhere these days.

I preferred Porsches back in the day when they were purposefully sports cars. Today even a GT3 offers enough comfort so you can drive to- and back home from the racetrack without braking your spine and without drinking your money in fuel.

As a DD the Turbo is nearly unbeatable. If you dont need the power though a regular Carrera will do the job as well.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Porsche is by far the best sports car company in the world. Not only do they offer fast and beautiful cars but they're highly reliable. A friend just hit 100k on his 996 911, he daily drives it and just does oil changes. Porsche knows how to make a car.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I daily drove my cayman S and with 19s and no PASM i thought the car was very comfortable. Me nor any passengers ever thought the ride was too jarring.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Not the most comfortable car I've had (997.2 C4S), but I can use it anywhere and for just about anything. The C4S actually has better front clearance than my 3 series oddly enough...

·
Registered
333 Posts
i've had my 997S for about 18 months and drive it fairly regularly...... it's always nice to take it out on fridays for my usual commute to work (166 miles RT) instead of the diesel jetta, and i lose very little in comfort compared to the obvious difference in performance... i'd love to drive the car every day if I didn't have to rack up so many miles......

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Driving my Boxster S got a little laborsome in rush-hour traffic during the summer. Also, with working out, the seat was somewhat uncomfortable, especially on the days I worked out back. Being a wide guy it gets a little uncomfortable in the seats.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I've put 15k miles on my 997 coupe since March. I commute evry day in it. Love it 15x over my 996 C4 Cab that it replaced. My only suggestion is get the sport seats, as I find the standard seat to be so-so in the comfort department

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback guys. Test drive scheduled tomorrow. Can't wait to see what's the bad boy about.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sounds good. It's a 2011 911 turbo S coupe. Only "problem" is the gt2 style rear spoiler. Not my style but we'll see.

Lucky dog! I think you will love it!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Have not driven on yet, but was @ the dealership when someone had just got back from their test drive. They were almost speechless. That car is insane! Make mine black/black, centerlocks and PCCB's. Can't wait to hear your impression of it.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have not driven on yet, but was @ the dealership when someone had just got back from their test drive. They were almost speechless. That car is insane! Make mine black/black, centerlocks and PCCB's. Can't wait to hear your impression of it.
Heh, that's what I was told. On paper, the car seems absolutely crazy. Only Porsche I had was a 09 cayenne turbo S and it was amazing so I expect a mind blowing experience in the coupe. The one I'll be test driving is black/black no centerlock but with new wheel design, pccb, aerokit, etc ...

Turbo S comes loaded with all options apparently: chrono pack, pccb, dynamic engine mount, torque vectoring, etc ... yes i did my homework. :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Once you drive it you won't want anything else!

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Turbo S will be fine for a daily. You might get a lot of speeding tickets but that car is PERFECT for a daily in my mind...

Now go buy it - and show us pics!!!!!! (interior too!)

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Test Drive Report

Went for a test drive at Herb Chambers Porsche of Boston. Vehicle was basalt black on black with 12 ways seats and new wheel design. Test drive was about 30 minutes and it was enough for anyone to be convinced and buy the car. It was better than I expected: like some said, I was speechless. I have not driven a car this nimble. I felt it was more nimble than the R8 V8 I owned. Interior space and comfort was pleasantly surprising; no problem as a DD. PCCB was simply stunning. Salesman allowed a tour on the I-90 for an exit. I don't know how fast the car passed from 45 to 70 but I didn't have time to blink the eyes. It was a done deal if it wasn't for the basalt black exterior; not a fan of the dark blue tones under bright light. Salesman tried to convince me in saying that the metallic black of Porsche (basalt) is easier to maintain (please advice if you agree). I decided to visit another dealer who has a convertible turbo S in regular black, compare and make a final decision (on the color, not the car!).

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I like the Basalt Black since it has a little more of a metallic flake to it. When it's clean an the sun hits it, the paint just POPS! But that's me. A black/black turbo S is a hot car. Can't wait to see pics!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts