Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying an exotic, convertible. It will be my first convertible. I really, really, really like the Aventador Roadster. The only problem is that it doesn't meet one of my biggest requirements...a roof that open and closes easily. There is just something intangible about the Aventador though, that really takes it above and beyond all the other cars for me, so I'm trying to look past this. My concern is, I will probably end up leaving the roof open when parking/going out and about, given that the area/neighborhood is a safe one and I don't have any valuables in the car. So my question is, convertible owners, when going out and about, do you ever leave your roof open when leaving the car? Is this generally a safe thing to do? Has anybody ever messed with your car?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I never leave my roof off unless my car is in eyesight. Far to many young idiots out there who will drive by and toss a Cigarette butt or a coffee cup in trying to look cool for there friends by disrespecting anthers possessions. Really depends where you live I would imagine.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Never. I don't even trust a soft top convertible to not get cut open with a knife. Thief doesn't know if there are valuables or not, he just sees a really expensive car.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I never leave my roof off unless my car is in eyesight. Far to many young idiots out there who will drive by and toss a Cigarette butt or a coffee cup in trying to look cool for there friends by disrespecting anthers possessions. Really depends where you live I would imagine.
This. I would never even leave my sun roof open. All it takes is that one asshole to throw coffee or soda or even worse a lit cigarette in your car.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have had 2 convertibles, an m3 and current a jaguar XKR and I leave my top down quite a bit over the 6 years I have had verts. never an issue actually. now a lambo is a different animal though....

most vert owners start with the top up all the time then as you own the car the top will remain down more than you realize. you will need to detail the car's interior quite often as it is gets nasty as after all the dust out there. doing that tomorrow actually.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
It most defiantly has to do with where you are parking it, at what time and for how long.

I have had my Gallardo Spyder for 4 years and have taken it to 3 different countries. During the day, I leave the top down but put my windows up if I am going into a business or public place and it is parked out in the public.

Later at night, does not matter what time or where, or if I am sitting on a patio right in front of it, I cannot tell you how many times I have encountered the worse pieces of shit living on this earth... I will never leave the top down anymore.

During the day if I am running in for a sandwich, a coffee or the bank, I don't mind, but never again at night when I take it out...

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I don't care for convertibles of any sort, not so much of malicious damage, but more of nature having a pissy day. Hail storms, flash rain falls, amongst the overall complexity of such a contraption of a mechanical opening and closing roof adds to more complexity and chances of more things going wrong. But I'm more pragmatic than anything else.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The fact that you have to stop, get out of the car, open the front, grab the roof pieces, put them on, and you better hope its not pouring rain is the reason i'm not a fan of the avent-roadster, but it does look better then the murci roadster, it looked like a bad toupee. I would like to own a convertible but it would have to be a hard top roof, soft tops anyone with a small knife, lighter, anything sharp can damage it.

I don't care for convertibles of any sort, not so much of malicious damage, but more of nature having a pissy day. Hail storms, flash rain falls, amongst the overall complexity of such a contraption of a mechanical opening and closing roof adds to more complexity and chances of more things going wrong. But I'm more pragmatic than anything else.
Agreed...just another motor that could crap out.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The sales manager demonstrated the Avy roadster folding top a few weeks ago and I would not want to be caught on the highway in a sudden downpour. Plus the folded roof takes up pretty much most of the frunk space.

I'm not a fan of the softop vert look when closed, never considered a vert when I bought my 350z or C2S. Security wise a softop provides negligible peace of mind. Countless times I've had to stop at the supermarket or hardware store to pick up something on the way home and prefer the security of a folding hardtop in addition to the aesthetics compared to a softop.

I really hope the huracan spider has a folding hardtop mechanism. If the 458 successor is TT, I'm going to explore other NA alternatives.

·
Registered
79 Posts
GF's toy is manual top but its a weekend thing and not the DD. We bee bop to the beach its quick trips for dinner and yes I leave the top down if we're not already cooking from the sun. LOL
Nothing to grab in the car when we get out of it so don't have to worry. I would not leave anything in it you don't want to lose but thats what trunks are for.
Its not a every day thing throwing the top down. Don't let it hold you up on buying something you really like. Vette to me is T-tops. Its more of a thing to get that in and out but I can look at Intellicast.com and figure out my day before I leave the house and also on the phone.
Little time on those weather sights you'll know what you running into and about what time to expect it.
Buy the car.........Enjoy.

·
Registered
790 Posts
My old 560SL is hardly an exotic, but it still attracts enough attention that I have to be careful where I leave it and when. In the garage at work it's pretty safe - corporate campus - but in public I only leave it top-down for short periods for ALL of the reasons noted above. It is a genuine PITA to get the top up and down, and the previous poster was spot-on about the elements having their way with the interior. Constant dust and crud, even without the occasional vandalism of trash being tossed in. This is one of the primary reasons the car will probably be for sale soon when I find a 996 TT to replace it. Classy ride, but way underpowered and no handling....but that's not a convertible issue. :) Good luck with your choice. As one of the previous members said: IT DEPENDS. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Top is ULTRA easy to put up and down on my M6, but I often leave it down when out for coffee or lunch. I guess it depends on where you live.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I haven't read through everyone's responses here, but when we had a convertible, if we were out and about with the top down, we left it down without a second thought. Having someone mess with your car is very rare, and as long as you don't have anything valuable out in plain sight (lock wallet, phone, shopping spree goods in lockable glove compartment or trunk), the only thing you have to consider is the weather. Only once did we accidentally leave the top down when it started raining, and we learned it's a good idea to be cognizant of forecasts when the car you parked is a vert with the top dropped.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's not a big deal to close the convertible top on any car with an automatic button inside the car, (gallardo, 458 spider, McLaren, etc). It is worth 15-30 seconds of your time to decrease the chances of someone messing with your vehicle in a public place. In the case of the Aventador or CGT, etc. it is annoying to have to get out of the car and secure the roof with the latches. Owning a convertible is definitely worth it!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Having a car even in the same class as an Aventador left unattended in a public area will bring on unwanted attention. When there is unwanted attention, there will also be people who are envious/jealous and a small portion of these people will resort to physically damaging your car. This is unfortunately just part of the society we live in. With that being said, having such a car with the top off/down, would make it that much easier for a low life to act on vandalism. I would never ever leave an exotic unattended with the top down. It would be just a matter of time before you come back to a full bottle of Coke poured all over your interior, or worse. Many thieves/vandals are animals of opportunity and leaving the top off just gives them one more reason to think about doing something bad to your car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts