Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello L4P,

I'm currently employed overseas for 9 months and will be back in the states for 3-4 months after until I return. I'm 22 and fresh out of college. I have not purchased a car before but I'm now earning a good salary around 45k out of college and my employer provides me with an apt, a car and also two meals a day while im abroad. It is highly possible that I could come back with about 20-30k cash. Outside of my normal living expenses for 3-4 months and renting somewhere to stay what would you guys think a good price range for a car would be. And perhaps if I should sell when I leave or keep as a toy and tune while im abroad.

I chose to ask you guys for your opinion because I know my situation is not ordinary because I do not spend much during the year but I will come back with a good amount of cash. I would love a little insight if possible. Thx

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
put that cash into a bank account!

Ha when I meant cash I meant money quickly attainable by me. Ha not physical cash but money I would have outside of bills and expenses. Basically living money for the summer

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
You can get an e46 M3 or an e39 M5 in the mid to high teens and those are some wonderful cars. A nice set of wheels, a drop, and an eisenmann exhaust and you'll have a monster to drive all for roughly $22k

·
Banned
3,230 Posts
The cheapest car that will get you from point A to point B with the least amount of maintenance. An older civic or something along those lines. $5k or less. Save the rest.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The cheapest car that will get you from point A to point B with the least amount of maintenance. An older civic or something along those lines. $5k or less. Save the rest.
Agreed. I bought an 05 accord coupe when I was 18. Almost 21 now and have driven nearly 50,000 miles in those 3 years without a single problem. The amount of money I've saved/gained is crazy.

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
I agree with the cheap car purchase, but hey if he wants to go all out on a car I have to give him the best option on that too. I wouldn't worry about an expensive car yet I would save save save if I were in your position because you are in the perfect situation to do so

·
Banned
3,230 Posts
No doubt Imola.

My advice comes from personal mistakes. I bought a $30k truck when I was 19 and lost my ass on it and never had extra cash.

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
No doubt Imola.

My advice comes from personal mistakes. I bought a $30k truck when I was 19 and lost my ass on it and never had extra cash.
Didn't you have an X5? Is that the one you're talking about? Live and learn my friend, I wouldn't buy a car unless I have enough money saved up to buy 3 more because you never know when the rainy days may come

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
5K 7K if you find something that you want to treat your self

·
Banned
3,230 Posts
Didn't you have an X5? Is that the one you're talking about? Live and learn my friend, I wouldn't buy a car unless I have enough money saved up to buy 3 more because you never know when the rainy days may come
I did have an X5, but that was well after my first truck. It was a brand new F150 super crew Lariat fully spec'd with almost every option except 4x4, adjustable peddles and heated seats. It was the previous years model and one of the last ones on the lot so it was heavily discounted. Plus I financed it so they discounted a bit more. Sticker on it was around $38-39k and I paid $29ish....At the time I had a pocket full of money and planned on paying cash, but they convinced me to finance it, they would take $2k extra off the price and then in a couple days I could just write the check and Id save $2k. This unfortunately came with a 9% interest rate in trade off of the discount.

Well, I did all this without my wife knowing about it and by the time I told her, she refused to allow me to write the check. So I was stuck with $29k worth of financing at 9% for 6 years. Sold it after a few years with 125k miles and got destroyed. Had to come out of pocket like 5 or 6 grand.

Total buttfvck. But life lessons learned I guess.

·
Banned
3,230 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yep 02 civic for 4k and 75k miles but engine only has 35k and no problems. Can't beat a Honda for reliability and cheapness.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate the feedback. I talked to some of my peers that have played overseas also and I think it will be best to just rent for the 2-3 months I'd be back. There are a ton of options but this way I avoid having the cost when I come back across. Because a car will always be a depreciating asset unless its a high end exotic or collectors car. Thanks for the answers though!

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
^ on that note...

its a great time to SMART buy a classic!!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ on that note...

its a great time to SMART buy a classic!!!!
You think so? I mean I wouldnt be doing a ton of driving I was thinking of restoring a classic. Just driving to workout and eat and littles stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
your best options are:

civic, integra or accord around $3-5k. you'll get your money back. cheaper than rental car. getting an expensive car makes no sense since car will be left sitting after a few months.

zip car if you live in a city

1 - 20 of 22 Posts