Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had a reputable dealer install lowering springs on my GTS and to our surprise the passenger side sits a full 1/2" higher than the driver side. The techs are scratching their heads. Double checked and the springs are seated correctly in the perches. Anyone have experience with this that can offer some advise?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Its possible they were designed so the drivers side sits a bit higher so when you are sitting in it it sits level, and you just have the springs in backwards? but 1/2in is a bit much for something like that. Maybe they need to be worn in? Maybe you got a dodgy set? It's a puzzler, good luck figuring it out...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its possible they were designed so the drivers side sits a bit higher so when you are sitting in it it sits level, and you just have the springs in backwards? but 1/2in is a bit much for something like that. Maybe they need to be worn in? Maybe you got a dodgy set? It's a puzzler, good luck figuring it out...
Thanks. Actually the drivers side sits lower not higher. The springs went in symmetrical so there is not a left and right side. I do believe we got the front to rear installed correctly. I truly think something is hanging up wit the installation. Maybe sway bars or control arms. Maybe it will settle in but 1/2" is a big settlement.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Try waiting a few days for the springs to settle in and see if it make a difference. Is your car a clean title? If the car been hit and repair that will make a major difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try waiting a few days for the springs to settle in and see if it make a difference. Is your car a clean title? If the car been hit and repair that will make a major difference.
New with only 3500 miles on it. Clean as a whistle. I agree with the settling but 1/2" seems excessive.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It is possible the front left shock is blown or damage? A little crazy thought since the car have only 3500 miles on it...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Either damage, non-matching set of springs, or installed wrong. Not insinuating anything on who's at fault but a clean titled car with no damage with a proper set of springs doesn't just end up uneven.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for your feedback. No blown shocks, no damage to car, the springs were built by a very reputable manufacture. The drivers side sits correctly to spec. The passenger side sits exactly 1/2" higher front and rear. The installation was double checked. It really is puzzling. I'm curious if anyone else who has custom springs on their car can go measure your car and see if it sits even side to side?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Take out the springs and measure them against each other, and against the stock set of spring that had the car sitting evenly. Honestly it's not really that puzzling of a problem. Either something wasn't cut/measured correctly, or it wasn't installed right.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take out the springs and measure them against each other, and against the stock set of spring that had the car sitting evenly. Honestly it's not really that puzzling of a problem. Either something wasn't cut/measured correctly, or it wasn't installed right.
I hear ya. You would think it would be that simple. That is what is puzzling. The shocks were carefully measured before install against the ones coming out of the car. Not the springs. I was told that 1/4-1/2" variance side to side is within spec. I find this hard to believe. That is why am is looking for someone else with aftermarket lowering springs to measure their car side to side.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
God. Why cant anyone work on these cars properly? My dealership screws something up every single time.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I always find factory techs that went out on their own. I look at it like this, their interpretation of the state of my car relates to my car's and my own longevity.

The shocks could act defectively when under load. Could be a faulty spring. I would put the front OEM shocks on then put the new springs on. If it sits uneven, it's the springs, if not then it's the shocks. 1/4 -1/2 is too large a margin, IMO. I'd send them back just for saying that was acceptable. Get some H&R springs, my buddy uses them on his Mas. No way out of that labor to find your answer, IMO.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I hear ya. You would think it would be that simple. That is what is puzzling. The shocks were carefully measured before install against the ones coming out of the car. Not the springs. I was told that 1/4-1/2" variance side to side is within spec. I find this hard to believe. That is why am is looking for someone else with aftermarket lowering springs to measure their car side to side.
I get that they probably told you that they were "carefully measured" but if they aren't sitting as evenly as the stock springs that were on there (if of course the stock springs had it sitting even on both sides) then they screwed up. The idea of telling a customer that there is a 1/4-1/2'' variance side to side for "custom" springs is a cheap way of saying the springs suck and aren't measured or manufactured properly. Just my $.02 but I'd ditch the custom springs for a set that is tried and true from a reputable brand and dealer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your input. I should mention that these springs are from a very reputable manufacture. I only say custom because they build these springs to a custom spec. I just don't want to mention their name because I don't want to imply it is a spring issue. I really don't think it is. The manufacture is more that willing to replace the springs if we determine that it is a spring problem. I am really hoping that someone with aftermarket springs can go measure their car and see if there is any variance side to side?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Reputable only means so much when stuff doesn't work out my man. Mistakes happen, not saying they're a crap company. And I really don't know what you intend to get out of someone measuring their car. Cars aren't supposed to sit uneven like that.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Cars aren't supposed to sit uneven like that.
Exactly.^

This isn't a common suspension problem people live with, it is a problem with either A. the shop, or B. the springs or their manufacturer. If the company is willing to replace them, do it. But personally, I would want to see in person that they are in fact as 'even' as the OEM springs as your shop said.

Don't take this as criticism, but I've seen the most 'reputable' shops screw up some of the easiest things. The devil is in the details...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
When I took my front end off a few days ago I noticed my stock springs had Eibach stamped on them. I was pretty surprised to see that..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm surprised that more of you haven't gone out and measured your own GTS. Bottom line is that I found out it's not uncommon for a stock factory GTS to sit higher on one side than another. Welcome to the results of a hand built car. I was able to have my spring manufacture send me some springs that were 1/2" shorter and installed them on the passenger side. The result was a perfect balanced stance. Thank you Formula Dynamics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts