Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just bought a new car and am running low on detailing supplies. I thought this would be a good opportunity for me to re-vamp my detailing products, and I was hoping to get some feedback on this forum since so many of you do such amazing work.

here is what I currently use:

Wash: PInnacle Auto Wash or Meguiar's Gold Class with a Microfiber wash mitt.

Paint Prep: Pinnacle clay, Menzerna Intensive Polish, Menzerna Final Polish, Meguairs 105, Meguairs 205, Porter Cable Orbital.

Wax: P21S by hand or Menzerna FMJ with Porter Cable on black pad.

Rubber/Vinyl: Lexol Vinylex with waffle-weave microfiber.

Leather: Lexol Leather Cleaner and Lexol Leather Conditioner with a waffle-weave microfiber.

Wheels: Soap (see "wash") and a large sponge, if especially grimy I use P21S wheel cleaner.

Carpet: Shop-Vac and Folex carpet cleaner if there are any stains/grime.

Any products that would work better than what i am using currently? Any techniques that would be better than my current method? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i would suggest using something better then Lexol. Leather masters trio is what i have been using with great success.

it comes with a strong cleaner..but also they sell an even stronger one. I do not remember the name.

And use a brush on your wheels. much easier.
Also try an inexpensive APC like Meguiar's as a carpet cleaner, and also pretty much any other surface of your car..its great.

Try these sites.

Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing Supplies, Free Holiday Shipping Available
www.detailersdomain.com
Detailing Bliss
autogeek.org

DI is my favorite so far because of their ridiculous sales.
DB is for information. Its where i hang out. :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Leatherique Treatment or Connoly Leather Products IMO are some of the best producing leather products on the market, but if you want a good high to medium end product go with Leather Masters.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
sorry for intruding on the tread but i use gold class leather cleaner and zymol conditioner is that any good?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Leatherique Treatment or Connoly Leather Products IMO are some of the best producing leather products on the market, but if you want a good high to medium end product go with Leather Masters.
I've never heard of Connoly, Blake, can you elaborate on them? I will second Leatherique. I was a skeptic of this stuff for two years. I finally broke down and bought it, and it's my number one. It's a bit expensive, but considering your selection already, it'll go hand-and-hand with you're other quality products

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the leather suggestions guys. Just ordered some Leaterique. This sub-forum really is the best concentration of knowledge on L4P. I am always impressed by your work and your knowledge of detailing. :bow1:

·
Lord of War
11,101 Posts
I know about half the products on the list are very good. The other half I do not have experience using but may try out. I can definitely second the use of Folex for carpet. That is a miracle product.

TJ, what's the new ride?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TJ, what's the new ride?
2010 VW GTI - 4dr, DSG tranny, all the bells/whistles - it is the Wife's and I think it is the best car we have ever owned. We had a 2008 Audi A3 before it and it is 10x better than the Audi in every way (I couldnt believe it either).

Ive got to buy something else that she likes even more so I can have the GTI. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
may i offer you my top 5 products for clear coat protection?

1. Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
2. FK 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax
3. 1Z Einszett Glanz Wax
4. Collinite 476S SUper Double Coat Paste Wax
5. Adams Americana Paste Wax

if you have any questions about these products let me know.
ill reply back when i have a min.

bye for now =)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not to thread hijack, but in regards to the Leather Masters "Trio", what is the proper application process of the three? Cleaner, vital, protection?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
TJ, I have heard mixed reviews on FMJ...mainly that durability falls short. and p21s will only last a few weeks/washes (use that as a topper only, not a base)

look into some blackfire wet diamond or menzerna powerlock for a solid sealant wax base, and then top with either another layer of BFWD or PL, or top with your p21s

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not to thread hijack, but in regards to the Leather Masters "Trio", what is the proper application process of the three? Cleaner, vital, protection?
Leather Care

CliffNotes® Version - automotive finished leather upholstery is a multi-strata coating; consisting of the actual hide, water-based colour pigmentation and the surface finish; usually a thin urathane.

An acrylic and polyurethane resin binder system is used to improve flexibility, fastness and adhesion to the leather, then two or three water-based pigmented base coat applications, and then a clear water-based top coat is applied, which usually includes additives to give it a soft feel and a limited amount of ‘slide’ to assist in entering and exiting the vehicle as the final stage of the finishing process.

Three Step Care
1. Maintenance / Care- remove surface dirt and dust – use a soft brush, vacuum and then use a clean, damp cloth to ensure hydration.

2. Cleaning - Leather Masters™ Foam Cleaner is a solvent free pump action product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains. Always pre-test the product on an inconspicuous area. This cleaner is an aerosol version of Leather Master™ Strong Cleaner. Allow product to remain in place (amount of product will be dependent upon level of soiling) and then gently agitate, finally remove with a damp micro fibre towel
3. Protection- to ensure the leather remains soft and supple apply Leather Masters Soft Touch and allow to dry. And then apply Leather Masters Protection Cream with a dry micro fibre towel and allow to dry

Always remember you are dealing with the finished coating on the leather and not with the leather hide itself

See also “Oil and oil-based leather products”- from a series of i articles “The Art & Science of Detailing” - TOGWT

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TJ, I have heard mixed reviews on FMJ...mainly that durability falls short. and p21s will only last a few weeks/washes (use that as a topper only, not a base)

look into some blackfire wet diamond or menzerna powerlock for a solid sealant wax base, and then top with either another layer of BFWD or PL, or top with your p21s
Thanks. I may have no choice but to get rid of the FMJ. Menzerna has apparently stopped selling it. I think it has been replaced by PL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts