Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
"Powered by Ford" was a bit of a stretch even back then. :wink:
I'm not discrediting Koenigsegg's work here, but back then Powered By Ford wasn't a stretch. A company like Heffner for example takes a Ford GT and rebuilds the entire engine so it can handle 2,000 hp with the use of twin turbos. The engine is nothing like the stock FGT one, however it still is powered by Ford. It was just tuned by Heffner. The engine block is still made by Ford and the design of the engine is still Ford's, that's what makes a vehicle powered by Ford. So in Koenigsegg's case, their cars were no longer powered by Ford when they made their own engine blocks. The design is still based off of the mod motor, however a custom engine block can mean custom sections of it to suit your needs. So you have tweaked the designs.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Nice engine. It's powered by swedish Lysholm. :wink:
LOL, now that's a stretch. A supercharger can be easily changed out for something else. In the Ford GT's case, many are either twin turbo'd, have a Whipple supercharger or both TT and supercharger. In the case of a TT and a supercharger, most go with the stock one because the Whipple is overkill in this situation. They keep the supercharger for the instant boost at low RPMs.

·
Registered
674 Posts
So what you are saying is that the Agera R is powered by a Ford engine?

I knew that the older models were but on the show I talked to Christian himself and he said "Completely designed by us in Sweden"

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So what you are saying is that the Agera R is powered by a Ford engine?

I knew that the older models were but on the show I talked to Christian himself and he said "Completely designed by us in Sweden"
Read the thread again dude. I'm not saying that the Agera R is powered by a Ford engine. I said the early models were and that the engines they use now are based off of the mod motor design. The principle design of the new 5.0 Liter Koenigsegg engine is that of the mod motor. That's not saying that it's powered by Ford, as the only thing that the new 5.0 Liter has in common with, say the 5.0 Liter Coyote, is that of its basic design. You can take an engine and completely re-engineer it to perform better, in which case that engine is now your creation. I just found it interesting that Koenigsegg started with the mod motor and later took it to new heights with his own designs. You don't usually associate Koenigsegg with Ford.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Read the thread again dude. I'm not saying that the Agera R is powered by a Ford engine. I said the early models were and that the engines they use now are based off of the mod motor design. The principle design of the new 5.0 Liter Koenigsegg engine is that of the mod motor. That's not saying that it's powered by Ford, as the only thing that the new 5.0 Liter has in common with, say the 5.0 Liter Coyote, is that of its basic design. You can take an engine and completely re-engineer it to perform better, in which case that engine is now your creation. I just found it interesting that Koenigsegg started with the mod motor and later took it to new heights with his own designs. You don't usually associate Koenigsegg with Ford.
Now I get it mate, sorry. Interesting information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to stir the pot... You are comparing the Koenigsegg 5.0 L V8 to the wrong Ford modular V8. Try the 4.6 L SVT Cobra engine and it's offspring the 5.0 L "Cammer" road racing engine. Koenigsegg had Grainger and Warroll (UK not Sweden) change the bore and stroke slightly, otherwise it's virtually identical to the engines G&W makes for Ford. They even used Ford's alternator and water pump. The valve covers and timing chain covers look like they will swap without modifications. I say the Agera is still powered by Ford. Custom built, but still Ford.

Ford 4.6 L SVT Cobra
1996-ford-mustang-cobra-SVT-engine-1.jpg

Ford Racing 5.0 L "Cammer"
m-6007-t50ea.jpg

Roush Yates prepared 5.0 L "Cammer"
cammer-engine-no-background.jpg

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Just like Zonda's are powered by AMG motors
---------
So it's basically a really really expensive mustang...?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Koenigsegg block is a unique casting.
It's not a modified Ford casting.
Is this correct?
1. "Everyone" knows the cars from #030 (2006-) are non Ford, Grainger & Worrall cast, unique Koenigsegg blocks!?
2. First "20 cars or so .." (6 CC + 14 CCR made 2002-2005) are Teksid cast Ford modular design?
3. Your name makes me think you know what you are talking about :^)

·
Registered
220 Posts
---------
Well you know, the same way a Huayra is a really expensive SL65 and the Veyron is a really expensive Volkswagen.

The Huayra engine and the "standard" AMG 6.0L V12 are extremely similar though. Just a few minor tweaks.

·
Registered
545 Posts
---------
One key difference here, Pagani doesn't claim the engine is theirs. CvK calling the Agera motor "completely bespoke" is complete bullsh*t, it is still the same architecture as the mod motor. They only get to call it that once they design a motor from the ground up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
CvK calling the Agera motor "completely bespoke" is complete bullsh*t, it is still the same architecture as the mod motor. They only get to call it that once they design a motor from the ground up.
I don't know to much about this, can you please explain? Is Ford modular the first V8 architecture? Or are they both deep-skirt block with cross-bolted main caps, same number of main bearing caps, crankshaft driven gerotor oil pump, overhead camshaft valve train arrangement, and bellhousing bolt pattern, same firing order, split intake-port, and so on? Interchangeable engine parts?

Like I said, I don't know much about motor engineering. But I know things in general about engineering, and I think nothing is "completely bespoke" in a field like this (and have not been for 100 years or so). 99% of what's "new" is based on old knowledge and old architectures, and probably this bespoke engine too. But is it a copy of the Ford modular like you implies? .. I doubt it, that would probably generate problems with Ford? But I ready to learn about it, can you please help me explain what you mean with "the same architecture"?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of experience do you have of the Koenigsegg engine?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't know to much about this, can you please explain? Is Ford modular the first V8 architecture? Or are they both deep-skirt block with cross-bolted main caps, same number of main bearing caps, crankshaft driven gerotor oil pump, overhead camshaft valve train arrangement, and bellhousing bolt pattern, same firing order, split intake-port, and so on? Interchangeable engine parts?

Like I said, I don't know much about motor engineering. But I know things in general about engineering, and I think nothing is "completely bespoke" in a field like this (and have not been for 100 years or so). 99% of what's "new" is based on old knowledge and old architectures, and probably this bespoke engine too. But is it a copy of the Ford modular like you implies? .. I doubt it, that would probably generate problems with Ford? But I ready to learn about it, can you please help me explain what you mean with "the same architecture"?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of experience do you have of the Koenigsegg engine?
That is the most overtly passive aggressive reply I've ever seen. Obviously you do know about motor engineering from what you've said, what is it you're really trying to ask me?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts