Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was doing some research on the engines that power some of the world's finest vehicles and I found out some information about Koenigsegg I didn't know. Anyone who actually knows about Ford's modular V8 knows why Ford hasn't quit using the engine family and only does improvements on it. It's an incredible design that hasn't reached its limits, even in the hypercar world apparently. How many on here know that Koenigsegg started out using Ford mod motors? The CC8S and following CCR used the 4.7 Liter V8. The CCX engine was the first time that Koenigsegg went into making the mod motor its own but kept the overall engine design. This has continued with the Agera. Below is a video I found of Mr. Koenigsegg explaining the new 5.0 liter engine and after that is a picture of a Ford GT 5.4 Liter V8 and then the new 5.0 Liter Coyote engine. Notice the similarities. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the mod motor design is found in Koenigsegg's. I've always been a Ford guy and now more than ever. My respect for the mod motor just went up, when I thought that wasn't possible.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I thought eggs' had Audi engines?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quite an old discussion, and has been mentioned on pretty much every forum that I was involved in in the past. Anyway, the CC8 and CCR has Ford engine blocks. From CCX onwards, however, the engine has been built by Koenigsegg themselves, which is quite impressive from a small manufacturer like them

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
I didn't know this. Thanks for pointing it out. Really interesting insight.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quite an old discussion, and has been mentioned on pretty much every forum that I was involved in in the past. Anyway, the CC8 and CCR has Ford engine blocks. From CCX onwards, however, the engine has been built by Koenigsegg themselves, which is quite impressive from a small manufacturer like them
A lot of people don't know it and I haven't seen a thread about this fact lately. The CCX was when Koenigsegg started having their own engine blocks made. Pretty cool that they do all their own engine work now. I have a ton of respect for Pagani and they use AMG engines. So to find out that Koenigsegg's current engines are based off of the Ford mod motor is awesome in my opinion.

Reactions: SoCal Mag

·
Registered
479 Posts
Off course all us ultra Egg nerds know this but perhaps not eveybody here; Koenigsegg also bought a prototype flat 12 engine from Motori Moderni? After a short while they understood that they newer were going to get it as reliable as they needed to put it in a road car. The motor originally was developed for F1 but changes in regulations made it useless. It reved like 9000;-)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Off course all us ultra Egg nerds know this but perhaps not eveybody here; Koenigsegg also bought a prototype flat 12 engine from Motori Moderni? After a short while they understood that they newer were going to get it as reliable as they needed to put it in a road car. The motor originally was developed for F1 but changes in regulations made it useless. It reved like 9000;-)
That engine was used in the Jiotto Caspita. I only started getting really interested in Koenigsegg over the past year so there is a lot of stuff I don't know about the brand. I'm a Ford fanatic, so a good chunk of my time around cars revolves around Fords, then Muscle Cars, then super / hyper cars.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
That engine was used in the Jiotto Caspita. I only started getting really interested in Koenigsegg over the past year so there is a lot of stuff I don't know about the brand. I'm a Ford fanatic, so a good chunk of my time around cars revolves around Fords, then Muscle Cars, then super / hyper cars.
Didn't the Jiotto use a Judd V10 after the V12?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Didn't the Jiotto use a Judd V10 after the V12?
Yes, on the Caspita Mark II a few years later. The car never became successful though, most likely because the company wasn't main stream.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I actually knew this. When I first read about it when the CC came out I was pretty impressed. I thought squeezing that much power out of it could cause reliability issues but its one hell of an engine

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually knew this. When I first read about it when the CC came out I was pretty impressed. I thought squeezing that much power out of it could cause reliability issues but its one hell of an engine
If you look at the Ford GT, those guys can make well north of 1,000 hp with a stock transaxle and stock internals in the engine. I'm not a fan of turbos, but the TTGT's know how to slam it hard.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
interesting suff its just like with vipers using truck engines
Both the Ford GT and the Viper started with a truck engine and by the time both companies were done with the engine, it wasn't a truck engine. I'm pretty sure Lamborghini started with small tractor engines. It makes sense to start with a truck engine, as they have to put out a lot of power. A strong truck engine is a good starting point. Everything can be improved on. Koenigsegg started with a Mustang engine, more or less.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I never would of guessed that, thanks for sharing, Kudos to Ford. maybe koenigsegg should put the engines into mustangs:D

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I never would of guessed that, thanks for sharing, Kudos to Ford. maybe koenigsegg should put the engines into mustangs:D
If Koenigsegg put their engines in some Mustangs, those Mustangs could cost like $100K. Would be an interesting Mustang, Koenigsegg Edition. I think if someone really wanted to have fun with a Koenigsegg engine, they would put it in a Ford GT.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Some pics of the engine from the days when it actually used a Ford engine block. "Powered by Ford" was a bit of a stretch even back then. :wink:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts