Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an RS4 for 5 years now, and I'm looking at possibly getting into a Porsche. I've always loved the GT cars, most notibly the 997 GT3, but I just don't know enough about Porsche's to understand what the best model is for me.

What I love about my Audi:

High-revving V8 (obviously totally different than a porsche motor, I understand)
6 speed manual
Incredible sound (granted I've tweaked it a bit)
Somewhat of a 'sleeper'
All wheel drive

Now, this won't be my daily, so AWD and four doors aren't quite as important as they once were.

I'm not looking at anything new, too many sheckles. So, I've been thinking about a 997 Turbo, a 996 turbo, 997 GT3, and anything else you experts may recommend.

Let me know your thoughts and the differences I need to know about between models, and model years within them for that matter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 997 turbo would be my first choice. You get the wide body, it has the Mezger engine that won't have any of the intermediate shaft bearing issues. And the 997 has a much better looking interior and proper headlights instead of the funky ones on the 996.

·
Registered
7 Posts
997 GT3 ! => no turbo, made for track, redoutable efficiency, rear-wheel drive, wheight (1600+ for a turbo when a GT3 weighs less thant 1400kg)

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you see yourself cruising around and using it as a GT car I'd pick up a used Turbo or a Carrera S (what I have). If you see yourself being more track focussed and have more money I would get a GT3. Although with the new GT3 coming out with an automatic transmission only, used GT3 prices have shot through the roof.

As ChristopherG mentioned, with the Turbo you don't have to worry about the IMS bearing failing since it has a totally different engine than the Carrera & Carrera S. The IMS issue was addressed in all 09'+ 911's though when they switched to the new DFI engines.

My advice is to find a relatively low mileage Carrera S with less than 2 previous owners and a clean bill of health (Get an over-rev report). If you want an automatic, make sure you buy an 09'+ or newer since they switched to the latest PDK transmission that year.

·
Registered
332 Posts
if its not a DD, go GT3, ive done 600+km trips in my '10 997 RS, super fun, all to go-power you will ever need and dont forget the resell value, turbos tend to depreciate at an incredible rate ,along with all "normal" porsche models (except the aircooled ones), while the GT models hold their value exceptionally well. And in a normal GT3, you do get a glass rear window, a dual mass flywheel and a bit more soundproofing than a RS, which would make it really not a bad roadtrip car .but make sure you get the foldable carbon buckets ! they are exceptionally comfortable while giving all the side support you will ever need in a streetcar. If the narrow body doesnt bother you, yes GT3 no doubt. On a personal note, i find the 997 turbo to be quite dull in terms of emotion, but thats just my personal opinion. Depending on your budget, i would definately recommend you try to get a 3.8L one if you decide to get a gt3.

But regardless of what you get, a 911 is always a good choice :) Good luck with your search !

·
Registered
469 Posts
Seeing how you already got the jeep I'd skip the turbo if you want a porsche opt NA and go for a stock gt3. They have held on to their price exceptionally well. It's more than focused and capable for the street; however the 997 gts variant is also pretty fun to drive.

I know you said you don't want a new car but I definitely think you would be doing your self injustice to not try out the new cayman s!

oh and I'd stay clear off the 996..just my opinion.

Good Luck!

Reactions: ad2330

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if its not a DD, go GT3, ive done 600+km trips in my '10 997 RS, super fun, all to go-power you will ever need and dont forget the resell value, turbos tend to depreciate at an incredible rate ,along with all "normal" porsche models (except the aircooled ones), while the GT models hold their value exceptionally well. And in a normal GT3, you do get a glass rear window, a dual mass flywheel and a bit more soundproofing than a RS, which would make it really not a bad roadtrip car .but make sure you get the foldable carbon buckets ! they are exceptionally comfortable while giving all the side support you will ever need in a streetcar. If the narrow body doesnt bother you, yes GT3 no doubt. On a personal note, i find the 997 turbo to be quite dull in terms of emotion, but thats just my personal opinion. Depending on your budget, i would definately recommend you try to get a 3.8L one if you decide to get a gt3.

But regardless of what you get, a 911 is always a good choice :) Good luck with your search !
Thanks for the comments. Would love to see some pics of your RS and your 993!

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I'd say go GT3, no question. It has a high-strung 8250+RPM engine just like the RS. Sounds much better than the turbo, and holds it's value better. Not to mention a much more visceral driving experience overall.

The turbo makes a good daily. Easy to make a ton of power, can drive it in the winter, etc... but it sounds like you want a great driving experience. That's where I give the nod to the GT3.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
997 turbo is a reliable platform. You can maintain 90% of the car's issues yourself, if not all issues. I had VBOX times posted in an old thread--deceptively quick with EVOMSit. Also, drive the GT3 and you can tell that it's track-oriented. Haven't owned a GT3, so I can't speak on any issues. My best advice would be to test drive both 997 variants.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so it sounds to me like I'm falling towards the GT3 side of things. I like the idea of a higher revving motor that's maybe more of a 'driver experience'. I know it doesn't have the ability to make BIG power like the Turbo, but 415 isn't all that bad..

Having said that, man, the prices are through the roof right now it seems. I've been doing some digging and the 997 GT3 certainly seems to be a seller's market right now. Obviously, the 'no 6 speed option' in the 991 has got to be the biggest reason for this. That, coupled with their motor issues, and the 997 has shot through the roof in value.

This almost brings me back to the Turbo. Thoughts on the GT3 market right now? Best to wait maybe until '15? I know the motor issue is being dealt with..are there plans of a 6MT option at some point as well in the 991? I just hate to pay TOP dollar if the prices are going to calm back down in the near future.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so it sounds to me like I'm falling towards the GT3 side of things. I like the idea of a higher revving motor that's maybe more of a 'driver experience'. I know it doesn't have the ability to make BIG power like the Turbo, but 415 isn't all that bad..

Having said that, man, the prices are through the roof right now it seems. I've been doing some digging and the 997 GT3 certainly seems to be a seller's market right now. Obviously, the 'no 6 speed option' in the 991 has got to be the biggest reason for this. That, coupled with their motor issues, and the 997 has shot through the roof in value.

This almost brings me back to the Turbo. Thoughts on the GT3 market right now? Best to wait maybe until '15? I know the motor issue is being dealt with..are there plans of a 6MT option at some point as well in the 991? I just hate to pay TOP dollar if the prices are going to calm back down in the near future.
BUMP..thoughts on the 997 GT3 market?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
BUMP..thoughts on the 997 GT3 market?
I think the 997 mk1 is the best value right now in the GT3 market. I wouldn't expect the prices to come down much more. Yes it is a bit of a premium compared to an equivalent year/mileage turbo, but the 997 may very well be the last GT3 with a manual. Certainly it will remain a desirable car in the future. If you don't mind a little mileage and keep your eyes openyou can pick them up for ~80s.

Re: 991 and a 6MT trans, there are some rumors that the 991 RS will have a manual gearbox option, but no one knows for sure.

Here is a nice CW GT3 on eBay right now... Already has Sharkwerks exhaust, RS roll bar, and the mk2 LED tail upgrade...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-GT3-2007-porsche-gt-3-white-on-black-pristine-car-lots-of-upgrades-/111475847958?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19f47a7316&item=111475847958&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts