Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple questions, but the internet is not helping me and the local Porsche dealer says the car needs to reach the shop before they tell me anything about it.

Basically, can the 996.2 (2002-2005) headlights fit on the first gen (1999-2001) car without changing the front bumper and hood?

Also, for the owners, or anyone who knows, as far as I know the frame isn't aluminium (feel free to correct me), but is the direction and exhaust a full aluminium/stainless steel build?

Is the RMS is an engineering flaw or is it just that the seal wears quickly and needs replacing? If so, has anyone ever performed an RMS repair and what was the outcome?

Thanks in advance to anyone who holds the knowledge to these questions, any testimonials are appreciated. The car in question is a 1999 (3.4L) 996 911 C2 Cabriolet.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The headlights are a direct swap.
Not to sound like an a**hole but after further research, I believe you're incorrect.

I'll need new headlights (obviously), front fenders, fender liners, headlight retainers, bumper and its retainer, and a new wiring harness installed as it won't properly plug into the old one unfortunately.

I guess that option is off the table.

·
Registered
356 Posts
They are not a direct swap. I owned both gen 996's and never had a RMS issue. Don't know about the exhaust.

Good luck.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would it get locked?

They are not a direct swap. I owned both gen 996's and never had a RMS issue. Don't know about the exhaust.

Good luck.
Thank you Tpup, which exact models were they if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I've spoken to some enthusiasts outside forums aswell and they said that if the car has the 601 code, which means it has litronic headlamps, it may be capable of a direct swap. Others recommended getting a small "headlight eyeliner" piece to shape the light differently.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I own a 2001 996 Turbo, but I believe a 1999 would have different headlights. I don't think they are a direct swap.

Also, the only 996 that does NOT have the 'potential' for RMS issues is the Turbo. I don't know anything about the car you're looking at, but with prices as low as they are why not search around for a 996 Turbo? Or are you pretty set on Cabriolet?

Either way, best of luck.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I own a 2001 996 Turbo, but I believe a 1999 would have different headlights. I don't think they are a direct swap.

Also, the only 996 that does NOT have the 'potential' for RMS issues is the Turbo. I don't know anything about the car you're looking at, but with prices as low as they are why not search around for a 996 Turbo? Or are you pretty set on Cabriolet?

Either way, best of luck.
Thanks for the info. Non turbos go for as low as 16, while turbo models are scarcely found under 35 unless they have 200,000 on the odometer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
356 Posts
There was no 99 Turbo; the 996 Turbo launched in the US as a 2001 model (I had one of those as well). The 996 launched in 99 with an update in 02. The 02 update included many of the updates that were put in the Turbo during development including the Turbo headlights. The 99-01 996 have one headlight. The 02 on 996 have the same headlight shape as the Turbo but you could get regular headlights or litronic.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was no 99 Turbo; the 996 Turbo launched in the US as a 2001 model (I had one of those as well). The 996 launched in 99 with an update in 02. The 02 update included many of the updates that were put in the Turbo during development including the Turbo headlights. The 99-01 996 have one headlight. The 02 on 996 have the same headlight shape as the Turbo but you could get regular headlights or litronic.
Correct. Hence, the jump in price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts