Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were recently contracted to polish a WW2 B17 Flying Fortress.

We were exhilarated and honored to have been trusted with a fabulous artifact of American history.

This job was HUGE. It has to have been the largest and most difficult job Superior Shine have ever undertaken.

We found the aircraft to have a satin sheen to it.

Our job was to restore the aluminum to a brilliant shine worthy of this American Hero.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DAY ONE ........

We started with the underside to escape working in direct sun light. The first day was forecast to be the warmest. The weather was pleasant but did warm up a bit.

Ever wonder how fun it would be to buff over your head?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can see in this picture the difference between the dull and freshly polished sides.

DAY TWO ..........

We still had lots of work to complete on underside. We started moving teams out on to the fuselage and wings.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAY THREE.........

We are now in our "groove" and progressing nicely.

Notice how much surface area just one wing is. Keep in mind we had to do top and bottom. Then there was the other side to do!

DAY FOUR..........

We are starting to feel the effects on our bodies of long days polishing. We have sore arms and backs. Fuddy is starting to reveal some of his shine. That motivates the team and we polish on. We are almost there!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DAY FIVE............

The threat of rain keeps us indoors. Today is the day we put that final polish on the plane. We perform our clean up an double check every square inch for shine!

·
958 Posts

those pics are quite possibly the coolest pics that i have ever seen on this site or any other. and i have seen a bunch...and posted a bunch.

wow !! ........ way cool.

thank you very much.

fabulous airplane, great polish job!

a few years ago, on a 4th of july, i was at a local RC airfield. i asked if their were any military pilots in attendence. some guys pointed to an older gentleman, who was about 80. i walked over, introduced myself and thanked him for serving out country. he proceeded to tell me that at 18 or 20 years old (i can't remember) he was a B-17 pilot who commanded and flew 18 bombing missions over Germany.

think about this, what a world war is all about. a very young man, probably still in his teens flying one of the most important aircraft in world war two, responsible for almost half the bombs dropped on germany. responsible for his crew during high flying, long range, extremely dangerous flights! all this while sitting in a tin can, basically inside a thick coke can. can you imagine flying in one of these with anti aircraft flak all around you AND being attacked by Luftwaffe fighters?? talk about life and death.!!

before i left,i gave him my business card. a few weeks later, i received a thank you card in the mail from his wife. she wrote to me that it meant a great deal to him that as a perfect stranger i thanking him 60 years later for his war efforts and that it made his day..

the funny thing was that i was the one who was so appreciative that as a very very young man he put his life on the line for his country, in a time of great need.

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
I must agree, I have seen them all but this is def the coolest pictorial ever. Good God, thank you for sharing. Its amazing.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Wow that is f'ing amazing!

One of my grandpas was a Hellcat pilot and the other flew on supply missions, both in the Pacific...They have some great stories.

·
Lead Admin
7,619 Posts
wowie, nice work... That is a major detail job!!!

Thanks for posting...

Oh and in reference to the third line in the first post:

Thats What She Said!!!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts