Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm keep it as short as possible...my wife's birthday is coming up and I want to get her a diamond necklace. I already have a lot of the specifics sorted out...she wants a princess cut solitaire (single) diamond necklace.

I have a pretty thin budget of between 2-3k. I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck. Size is first priority, then color/clarity. I don't want anything that's really flawed, but basically I'm willing to give up some color/clarity for size.

I have very limited experience/knowledge when it comes to diamonds, so I'm turning to you guys for help. My biggest question is, where can I get the most for my money? I don't need it to be local...so any websites, etc would be useful.

To give you guys some insight on what I'm looking for, I've been watching this eBay auction and I'm thinking about possibly getting it. Any feedback? Is it decent? Well priced?
1 25 Ct Princess Cut D VS1 Diamond Pendant with 14k White Gold Necklace | eBay

I know this thread is kind of vague, but any help would honestly be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would pass on anything "enhanced" on ebay unless you know what you're doing. Dicked with diamonds have poor resale value so you might want to get something a little smaller and better quality. 1.25 is a healthy size stone, most starter necklaces are .75-1.0.

The most important C in a diamond is the cut, a poorly cut perfect diamond won't look as good as a well cut piece of coal. Check out Blue Nile if you want to get something decent, the other path is gain some knowledge cruise craigslist, I know my ex gave hers away :lol:

Good luck, diamonds are a poor investment for the most part and remember they always look better under the lights of a jewelery store.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys. I personally am not looking at this purchase as an "investment" at all. It's a gift for my wife and hopefully will never be resold. So resale value is not a concern whatsoever. That being said, she does care a lot more about size than color/clarity. We have been in many jewelry stores and she seems to have a hard time distinguishing the difference between say a H or I and a D color haha. I'll continue to look around and hopefully be able to find something in the .75 - 1.00ct range that might be in the middle of the diamond scale without any enhancements.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts