Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1974 For Bronco that my Grandfather purchased new off the showroom floor in 1974. After his passing my Mom owned it until recently when it passed on to me. My Bronco's paint is hammered, but I don't have the resources to paint it at this time. The paint has no clear left on it. It is worn to different levels in different areas. I want to preserve the paint and not have it get any worse. I also want to inhibit any further rust. For a Bronco of this age, it is amazingly solid with only a few very small spot of rust anywhere.
I have use Plasti Dip a bit on my Jeep to cover up the wrong color bumper on the back, but I am not really worried about what it does to the paint underneath.
I was thinking of Pasti-dipping the whole thing to keep it as is until I can make a decision, and pull together to funds to restore to original, or ??? I currently do not have garage space for it either, and I was thinking it might hold up better long term in the Seattle weather with Plasti Dip on it.
Has anyone used Plasti Dip on a car of this age? Anyone know the long term effects of Plasti dip on the paint underneath?
Thanks!

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's a lot of plasti dip!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I don't believe it reacts with the underlying surface or paint but plastidip, while durable, can stain and is susceptible to cleaning agents; for example, if you clean your wheels with a wheel cleaner and get some on the coating, it can soften the coating and lead to failure. I've heard pressure washers can cause trouble too.

If you want a long term solution (greater than a year) a wrap might be better from a longevity perspective, but for a fun temporary deal plastidip would be fine.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't think time spent out in the elements will further damage the vehicle much more than it already has been. I don't see Plastidip being the solution.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think time spent out in the elements will further damage the vehicle much more than it already has been. I don't see Plastidip being the solution.
The part I didn't say was that the Bronco spent the first 18 years of it's life in Deming, New Mexico, and the next 20 in a garage. It hasn't seen much rain in it's life, and Seattle is pretty rainy. I am afraid the moisture inside, it leaks, will hasten the rust in the floorboards, etc.

Someone on another forum suggested getting it clear coated to preserve the patina. Interesting thought.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The part I didn't say was that the Bronco spent the first 18 years of it's life in Deming, New Mexico, and the next 20 in a garage. It hasn't seen much rain in it's life, and Seattle is pretty rainy. I am afraid the moisture inside, it leaks, will hasten the rust in the floorboards, etc.

Someone on another forum suggested getting it clear coated to preserve the patina. Interesting thought.
Personally, I would park it in storage.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Talk about keeping a car in the family, I would wrap it and store it

Reactions: SCG

·
Registered
264 Posts
Talk about keeping a car in the family, I would wrap it and store it
Or do like the my old Italian nonna used to do with her couches and put a clear plastic over them to preserve them even when no one was aloud to sit on them.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
CLEAR COAT IT!!!!!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talked to a body shop today, one I have used quite a bit with wonderful results and he said Clearing it is not a good option. May as well paint it.
I don't want to just store it, it is a second car for the family right now. I am driving it almost daily.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
why is "clearing"it not a good option??

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
To plasti dip that whole truck can cost upto $500 if u take somwhere
unless u do it ur self rattle can or have a spray gun and buy it by the gallon it's cheaper.
If u can't afford to paint it now I would just concentrate icon the rust spots get them sealed or repaired so they don't spread
That can cost as much as a paint job in some instances
But it really need a new paint job . Maybe u can prep it and just have someone spray it . Save you some cash as opposed to dipping it

·
Registered
392 Posts
With rust already being there, I'm willing to bet that if you do any kind of cover you're just going to further the damage. It'll start blistering through whatever you put on it and then further eat the area.

If you leave it out it should be fine, as long as your not too close to the ocean (sea spray)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Do not plasti dip it... That bronco is by far one of my fav cars.... Plasti dip IMO looks like Crap I have a few customers that have done it to their BMW's.... 2 of them wish they would have saved the money...

It was your Grandpas Ride.... drive it as it is.. it has a Story

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm in the process of doing a frame off Resto Mon on a 1970 Bronco.

If I can give my 2 cents..... Drive it, enjoy it... When you get the funds, restore it. But, until then do nothing...
Do it right the first time.

Reactions: Pushn'lbs

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in the process of doing a frame off Resto Mon on a 1970 Bronco.

If I can give my 2 cents..... Drive it, enjoy it... When you get the funds, restore it. But, until then do nothing...
Do it right the first time.
Thanks for the comments (everyone!). I love to mod my rides, so leaving it alone and just enjoying it is the hardest thing for me to do. I wasn't even thinking about that. Although it will be extremely tight, I am going to try and squeeze enough space in my garage to park it inside. My fear is moisture from sitting outside in the Seattle winter.

SCG: Pics??

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for the comments (everyone!). I love to mod my rides, so leaving it alone and just enjoying it is the hardest thing for me to do. I wasn't even thinking about that. Although it will be extremely tight, I am going to try and squeeze enough space in my garage to park it inside. My fear is moisture from sitting outside in the Seattle winter.

SCG: Pics??
I know the guys at ICON and don't like waiting.... (1+ year to get one) so, figured 85K invested will be close to a 200K ICON

Yes..Here's the pic:
bronco.jpg

Ordered today:
Fuel injected Mustang Coyote 5.0 Crate Engine
Five Speed manual transmission
Atlas ll part time transfer case with a crawl ratio of 87:1
Dynatrac/Dana 60/44 based axles
Stoptech with six piston front, four piston rear calipers, slotted rotors
12" travel Coil suspension with front and rear sway bars
Restored vintage Uncut Fenders
Polyurea coated under body and floor surfaces
Stainless steel body hardware
Ceramic Exhaust

Automatic transmission with overdrive
Sport Fox Suspension package (with nitrogen charged remote canister shocks)
Winch and recovery gear set
ARB locking differentials

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm going to be the outlier here and tell you to GO FOR IT. Plasti dip is awesome. I've seen dipped cars that look better than wrapped cars (no creases, wrinkles or pealing around edges, flawlessly gets into nooks and crannies). Best part is that stuff peels right off no problem at all when you're done. For the 1 in a million times that a small portion may get frustrating to get off, meaning that it just peels off in small bits due to too thin a coat, you can just put plastidip remover on it, and in five minutes you can powerwash it off.

I've had my roof on one of my cars plastidipped for 2 years now. People constantly ask me where I got it wrapped. The car goes between Vegas, Santa Monica, and the mountain towns of Colorado (Aspen, Telluride, Vail). In fact I've left my car for weeks at a time parked outside at the Aspen airport when I go to LA and weeks at a time back in LA (with lots of seaside condensation at night and salt in the air). From desert heat of 120 to winter temps of -30 with snow, sleet, pollution, tons of sun, that stuff looks like the day it went on. For a Bronco like yours, go for a cool color too like matte tan, or one of the other cool colors Icon uses. My only advice is to find a certified installer on www.dipyourcar.com and pay them to do it. Shouldn't cost you more than $500. Have fun and enjoy looking like a boss for $500!

Do I think you should use Plastidip on a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Bugatti? NO NO NO but on regular cars, its a great deal.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts