Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just heard on news about crash, of p51 into vip stands at air show, i hope everyone is ok, they have already announced 13 dead, hope no more

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I'm usually there every year for the races sitting in the box seats, but decided to stay at home this year for ALMS races at Laguna. Counting my blessings, but very sad for all involved.
I hope this does not lead to the end of the Reno Air Races.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
For me, this tragedy strikes very close to home. I have close friends who are there every year, who base their planes there and worst of all my gut tells me that I will know someone who has been injured of killed in this accident.

Given all the speculation that surrounds accidents like this I will contunite to try and contact those friends who normally are there.

·
Premium Member
17,966 Posts
So...to see footage of a deadly disaster, Swifer Sweeper has to show a commercial first? Bad luck, advertising dollars down the drain IMO.

God bless to all. Let flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
I just posted the link to CNN as that is where I saw it on TV. But yes, I agree it's not proper to place adds on something like this.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've heard from my friends as of Wednesday aternoon. One of them had left the airport about 20 minues earlier and the other was in a tent volunteering about 300 feet away but behind the grand stands.

As the investigation continues the facts will be pieced together and some lessons will be learned and applied in the future.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Absolutely tragic. An old high school buddy of mine watched his friend die right in front of him that day. Even so, it could have been much, much worse.

·
Lord of War
11,101 Posts
So so sad! I hate it how the NTSB and FAA are flipping the deal saying the plane was unsafe, etc. Of course its a dangerous sport!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was just there the day before it happened.. saw the USAF Thunderbirds and some choppers doing some practice runs... Terrible news :(

·
Registered
448 Posts
A friend of ours from the Voodoo team just posted a new video of the accident as seen from his view on top of their transporter. It does not show the impact. What it does show is rather interesting. The first pitching move the aircraft made while still banked over is the hardest pull of the whole sequence. The tail wheel is starting to come out before it rolls level and makes the pitch up. The tail also flexes a lot while this is happening most likely due to the asymmetric loading on the tail since the trim tab on the right side was locked out, and the left was moveable. You can hear the flutter starting (remember the sound is delayed due to the distance from the camera) as it goes up. Also, Jimmy is not visible in the canopy as it rolls level. It is pretty clear the trim tab linkage broke and that caused it's first move. Then as it went up, the flutter set in, and the tab departed just as it started the roll over the top. The video can be seen here: Final Flight of the Ghost on Vimeo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts