Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a cheap beater on Thanksgiving day, and I honestly think that this car may have been regularly washed with Scotch-Brite pads! :lol: I figured that my orbital polisher may not be up to the job, so I thought that I'd try my hand at a rotary polisher. I'm in love!

Of course, FedEx didn't deliver my package full of polishing goodies until after 4:00 PM, so I experimented with a small square on the rear trunk lid as I had less than 30 minutes of light to work with. I chose to do a three-step process with Meguiars #105 on a LC Yellow Pad, Menzerna SIP on a LC Orange Pad and then Menzerna PO85RD on a LC White Pad. There's no wax or LSP.

I definitely need to practice my technique as rotary is a completely different animal compared to orbital - I'm fighting the polisher to keep it straight, as it wants to walk and run on it's own. I'd say that the results are about 90%, I definitely need to work the Meguiars #105 a bit longer to reach some of the deeper swirls! I think I'll experiment with the purple Foamed Wool pad a bit.

I'll try my hand at the rest of the car tomorrow morning.. let me know if you want me to post any more pictures in the next few days! My apologies for the noisy pictures - it was nearly dark and this camera doesn't do well in low light and high ISO situations.

-R

·
Registered
80 Posts
keep praticing, I can see halos and bet there are buffer trails in full sun.....based on the last pictures.

Wipe down the area with ISP91%/water 70/30 mix after each polishing. Any polishing oils will be removed so you can see the true level of correction.

What car did you try this on? The pads you mention might be too abrasive for the paint.

Go slow in your movements 1-2" per secs.

Make sure you break down the sip/ 85rd properly, they will have to be worked to get the desired results.

105 doesn't really break down , so you need to use different teniques with it.

PFW is amazing with 105, clean the pad often, lessen downward pressure on your final pass to help the finish.

There is so much to learn, its more about paying attention to what is going on than any process as each paint or even part of the car changes how you approach the job.

Cheers,
GREG

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it! The car is a Brilliant Black (solid) 2005.5 Audi A4. I didn't see any buffer trails/holograms before the sun went down or with any of the lights, but I'll find out for sure tomorrow. ;)

The process that I tried was Menzerna SIP on a LC Orange Pad and then Menzerna PO85RD on a LC White Pad. Would you recommend an LC White Polishing Pad or a LC Black Finishing Pad for the PO85RD?

Thanks,
-R

·
Registered
80 Posts
Audi is a bit harder paint than most, so I say use the PFW over the yellow pad any day! If the audi paint is hard your pad combo might work fine, I like to use a black or red pad with 85 rd, that way I don't get any pad haze only the polish is cutting.

Maybe the last few photos show "lateral sun bursts" out from the light reflection usually a strong indication of pad marring/haze.

Keep changing up your pressures, working times, speed of each pass, and see what happens each time you change a variable this will teach you so much. Pay attention.

What other polishes do you have?

What side are the pads?

What speed are you running the rotary?

Cheers,
GREG

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The paint is indeed extremely hard - my old bottle of Meguiars #83 literally didn't even make a ding. ;) I'll experiment with the PFW pad tomorrow. I'm worried whether the LC White Pad has more cutting power than the PO85RD polish itself, so I'll experiment using it on a LC Black pad.

Regarding compounds/polishes, I currently only have a bottle of Meguiars #105 and #205, Menzerna SIP and Menzerna PO85RD. The rest of my compounds and polishes are either a few years old and nearly empty. :lol: As far as LSP, I'm a long time Zaino user but I plan on trying out some 1Z Einszett Glanz Wax.. we'll see how that goes. ;)

I'm running the polisher around 1-2" per second, overlapping motions vertically and horizontally. I'm doing a single pass around 1000 RPM, and then another pass or two around 1500 RPM and then dropping it down to 1000 RPM for one last pass. I'm still not getting any dusting or chalking at this point. I'm applying light pressure just until the pad compresses and the rotational speed slightly decreases. What do you think?

Thanks,
-R

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't see anything your doing that will kill the paint, so have fun, go slow, and be aware.

Post up pictures of results.

Cheers,
GREG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts