Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2002 Honda S2000 (AP1) to build over the winter, previously I had a 2006 AP2 and regretted selling it.

The car was completely stock aside from Rota Wheels, which I will definitely be changing after I tackle some other items, and a K&N intake which I will also be changing out. The car had a clean title with no accidents and all original panels with matching vins, the berlina black paint is in amazing condition (a couple rock chips). The interior is completely stock and super well maintained, it has no broken plastics or tears in the leather. The car has 200,000 kms (120,000 miles) and I got it for a steal, $10,000 CDN. It also has a brand new soft top <1 year old installed.

Plan will be to do all the essentials this winter for maintenance sake, including brakes, fluids, and some engine work to freshen up the valve-train. I also have some Fortune Auto coilovers on order and new tires until I decide on new wheels. And trying to decide on a new exhaust with no drone.

I plan on slowly building up a stockpile of parts... but I am currently undecided on which wheels I want to go with. I want to keep the body clean so my only plans so far are spoon front fenders, if I can track down a decent set, and an AP2 front bumper with CR lip.

Here are some pics the day I picked her up:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have just been trying to decide what route I want to go with the car so I am not doing things 2 and 3 times over. Initially I will focus on suspension and brakes, make sure all wheel bearings and ball joints are replaced. New coilovers etc. Then I think I am going to build the Top end all at once. Eventually I want to add boost, but I want all the supporting mods done first. So eventually I will have to do rear diff and transmission as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Congrats on the buy

Very happy 9 year S2 owner over here, but check the axle nut torque specs when possible.
Honda didn't tighten them as much as they should have, and I just had to replace the bearings due to that, 240 ft/lb is your new goal, not the 100-something Honda stopped at

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you did your bearings did you have to replace the entire assembly? I have read mixed things, and I heard that they can potentially destroy the knuckle if they go.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Haven't heard anything about the knuckle, but I have heard about the hub needing to be replaced.

I caught mine early and kept miles to a minimum to avoid further damage and only bought a new bearing.
Might need a new hub, but I'll sort a couple other things out first to be sure

·
Registered
913 Posts
Always had a soft spot for these cars, I still have a poster on my wall of one from when they were pretty much new haha. I hope you keep us updated with any work you do to it accompanied by pics. For the wheels may I suggest the Volk GTS? There used to be an awesome S2K rolling around here on them. RAYS Wheels Australia.

Anyway, Congrats.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I am probably going to end up with some Volk or Work wheels. But its not an immediate mod for me. Primarily I am going to do preventive maintenance first, then move on to some aesthetic improvements! I honestly don't think there is a better car close to the price point, next step up for fun factor would probably be a porsche 911 IMO.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Had a sebring silver/all red interior back in 2002. I met some great people on s2ki back then as well. I loved their car community then. Not sure how it is now though.

The transmissions in these s2k's are so buttery. I miss driving it now that I think of it. It definitely was not the fastest car, but it was a nimble little sonofa... For a while, its engine was an engineering marvel with its 120hp per liter. Still a marvelous car to this day, and quite overlooked now since the release of the newer brz and the like..which is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah I am probably going to end up with some Volk or Work wheels. But its not an immediate mod for me. Primarily I am going to do preventive maintenance first, then move on to some aesthetic improvements! I honestly don't think there is a better car close to the price point, next step up for fun factor would probably be a porsche 911 IMO.
Or a Lotus Exige with the k20a and supercharged

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Had a sebring silver/all red interior back in 2002. I met some great people on s2ki back then as well. I loved their car community then. Not sure how it is now though.

The transmissions in these s2k's are so buttery. I miss driving it now that I think of it. It definitely was not the fastest car, but it was a nimble little sonofa... For a while, its engine was an engineering marvel with its 120hp per liter. Still a marvelous car to this day, and quite overlooked now since the release of the newer brz and the like..which is not a bad thing.
I've noticed Honda's in general usually have very smooth and buttery transmissions. I agree, very enjoyable drive. The next car company I can think of that has such a smooth transmission would have to be Porsche.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've noticed Honda's in general usually have very smooth and buttery transmissions. I agree, very enjoyable drive. The next car company I can think of that has such a smooth transmission would have to be Porsche.
I agree, but imo, it is a total different animal. My next purchase will be a 997 RS or Turbo. If things go real well, I will get into a 991.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would love to jump into a porsche, but I also wanted something to build/tinker with and I wouldn't be doing that with a porsche I don't think. Eventually this thing will be a monster! But I am going to pace my self with the build and enjoy it along the way.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Congrats! I actually just sold mine, but they are great cars!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, should be fun to tinker with over the winter. A bunch of stuff is starting to arrive so I am getting excited to pull her apart soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts