Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering what the pros and the experienced amatures had to say between the two. I like the features and lessons that Elements gives people and how it let's you copy photo samples to apply to your pictures. Also like the photo editor to cut existing stuff out of the pics (people, unwanted objects ect). Can Lightroom do any of these things or anything Lightroom can that Elements cannot? I do not want to get into full Photoshop because I still have a long way to go. Thanks!
Nik

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my opinion, Lightroom 3 is far superior, but that's because I use it exclusively for RAW file editing, if you want to clone people and add filters, get photoshop. However if you want a great RAW editor with a great easy workflow; get Lightroom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just installed the trial version of LR3 & imported the same photos that I put into PSE6 yesterday.It was much quicker,and also LR3 automatically associated the raw with the Jpeg of the same name.Lightroom was originally designed to compliment photoshop CS4. When lightroom 2 was released most everyone agreed that it had become one of the top stand alone photo editing programs on the market.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I second Lightroom 3. I have been using Lightroom for a while now and it has been very good. The workflow from importing pictures to RAW processing to exporting is flawless. With Lightroom 3 you can even link your Facebook, Flickr, SmugMug account and upload straight from Lightroom so it just takes out that extra step. With Lighroom you get the abilities of Photoshop CS5 in a more simplistic manor that is easier to follow and will get you used to using the Photoshop tools if you plan on adding Photoshop CS5 to your workflow in the future.

Hope that helps!

·
L4P Judge Jury & The Executioner
5,783 Posts
Lightroom 3 user here.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I just started using PSE9 as well and relearning how to use PS again. I'll have to try LR3. So far PSE9 has been good.

·
Registered
419 Posts
lr3 is a great tool i use it for importing then use cs5 if i need to go further

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what if I only shoot in jpeg (fine) and no RAW..... LR3 won't do me any good?

·
Registered
419 Posts
you can still clean up and correct with jpgs but when using raw files there is more data to go off.

just change your format to raw problem solved

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
So what if I only shoot in jpeg (fine) and no RAW..... LR3 won't do me any good?
if you don't shoot RAW then LR3 is still a good option because it allows you to organize, edit and upload your shots all from one simple application! When you want to change it up and have more control of your pictures when you edit then switch over to RAW.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the help and responses! I ordered both today from amazon (PSE9 has $20 rebate) for $170! Can't wait to get these, shot 400 pics while in the Caymans this past week!

Another question for you though regarding editing, LR3 -> PSE -> iPhoto 11 (I like the FaceBook/ FLICKR interface that Apple has now)?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts