Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
how stupid is what? Hold your judgement to yourself, we have many people on this forum who have and still do compete in the Texas Mile.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thankfully, the driver walked away alive, but sorry, how stupid is this???
How stupid? Please explain this to us.

The wind was crazy this past weekend and the end of the track was giving a lot of people traction issues. Everyone who goes out to do a 200+mph run does so excepting the possibilities. It is dangerous, as is any motorsport event, but I fail to see how stupidity plays a role.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Knowing the cars lack of proper control during throttle lift off with rear biased engine breaking during previous high speed runs and expecting a different outcome.....

I believe that's not the definition of stupid but insanely stupid....

·
Registered
936 Posts
Knowing the cars lack of proper control during throttle lift off with rear biased engine breaking during previous high speed runs and expecting a different outcome.....

If I remember correctly, this was his first run.

With the chute out and brakes on, a crosswind pulled the already light rear towards the drivers side. It's easy to armchair criticize after the fact, but when you cross the lights at 238, a crosswind can mess up anyones day pretty badly.

The most important thing is that a fellow car guy made it out alive and well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would argue that taking part in such an extreme event with high winds wasnt the wisest choice. stupid, eh maybe. i would imagine that youd only want to do such an event under optimal conditions since you know what the possible outcome is even then. thankfully he lived, and im sure he has also learned.

if you are referring to pulling the shoot as stupid, my understanding is that the Texas mile doesnt have much room for stopping so what else was he supposed to do? :confused:

·
Banned
145 Posts
Listen to this idiots own comments at the end of his 250 mph run.....

Repeating the same mistakes expecting a different outcome= insanity or just stupid you pick one..:laugh:

He didn't lose control because he used the brakes it is the transition between on throttle and decel engine braking with the gearbox transmitting more bias to the rear wheels... He would have been better off crusin down in neutral..

·
Registered
933 Posts
Its kind of sad, because this particular vehicle had been bragged about prior to the Texas Mile tragedy...

Is it safe to say this is really bad PR for Underground Racing?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I have seen all the stupid comments from the peanut gallery come on 2-3 threads on this same subject now.

how many that have called the driver stupid or unskilled have actually competed in a timed landspeed event?
how many have actually gone over 200 mph? 220? 230? 250?

its not as easy as it looks. (speaking from real experience not from keyboard fantasy land)

·
Registered
5,125 Posts

please bring your lotus to next sanctioned mile event and see how well you do sir. :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
Its kind of sad, because this particular vehicle had been bragged about prior to the Texas Mile tragedy...

Is it safe to say this is really bad PR for Underground Racing?
No, they built a great car, capable of making that horsepower and attaining those speeds. They also may have saved the mans life with their cage setup etc.

Driver error, nothing less.

·
Banned
145 Posts
You don't have to have brains to buy a car that can do 250+ But you do need to know about handling and what will happen when the engine brakes on decel with a allwheel drive setup with rear bias..."even on decel"...
I'm glad he's OK but I feel sorry for such a cool car being driven by an idiot without skills aka knowledge....

·
Banned
145 Posts
please bring your lotus to next sanctioned mile event and see how well you do sir. :D
Sorry but my little Lotus will only do 193 mph due to it's gearing so you deep pocket boys win the top speed race...Oh and I didn't just let up on the throttle to slow down.......I learned all I needed about engine braking at a much slower speed the first time and one time is all it took..:clap:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
You don't have to have brains to buy a car that can do 250+ But you do need to know about handling and what will happen when the engine brakes on decel with a allwheel drive setup with rear bias..."even on decel"...
I'm glad he's OK but I feel sorry for such a cool car being driven by an idiot without skills aka knowledge....
the wind was more of factor than the engine breaking.

I live very close to the texas mile (its in goliad and I am in richmond)
and the winds have been pretty nasty lately....This is one of the main reasons I skipped the texas mile this year...the first time that I have done so since it started.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Sorry but my little Lotus will only do 193 mph due to it's gearing so you deep pocket boys win the top speed race...Oh and I didn't just let up on the throttle to slow down.......I learned all I needed about engine braking at a much slower speed the first time and one time is all it took..:clap:
no deep pockets here..I do it on motorcycles...and we have to know more about engine braking that a car driver of any car could ever imagine to...and I still believe it was the wind more so than the engine braking .

·
Registered
163 Posts
I personally admire UR for the engineering and quality that goes into their product, this is by no means is bad PR for them in my eyes.

Do we really need to be calling this guy an idiot and stupid? Probably not....

I think the error here might have been purely physics (mother nature) and nothing else, give the guy the credit he deserves for trying, yes, even tho it wasn't perfect.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts