Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

been lurking l4p for quite a while, mainly due to the business section,

anyway, back to watches, I recently suffered the loss of my grand father, and various items were left to various people, and I have been left this

He was in the UK merchant navy, until around the late 70's, I had never seen him wear it, nor had he ever mentioned it, and unfortuately my grandmother is no longer with us so I cant even ask her about it,

I don't imagine its a fake, but there are no papers or box to prove otherwise, which leads me to the main question of its value? Not that I have any intention of getting rid of it, why he left it to me in particular I have no idea,

appologies for the poor quality pictures, comments most welcome

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm definately keeping it!!

Unfortunately though, I don't know much about it/panerai's in general, so some info would be great,

from what I gather they were divers watches? Hence the huge strap,

the leather is nearly 1/4" thick, so for me its a bit too chunky to be wearing with my skinny wrists, but I'll see how I get on with it,

Cheers for the kind comments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sorry for your lost. That is a extremely beautiful watch. Those watches are very popular in today's society. Your Grandfather had style.

·
Premium Member
16,811 Posts
As everyone above has said I also am very sorry for your loss. I do have to say that your grandfather had excellent taste in watches. I personally would keep it and wear it with such pride. Its hard to find great heirlooms to pass down. If I where you I would pass it down to your children as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would get it appraised. If it is worth anything, you will want to have it insured.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Some of the more knowledgeable Pre-V guys will chime in soon. Looks like a great piece definitely one I'd be unable to sell if I had gotten one.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
...is 018 the serial number?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats the number on the back, but it looks different to the ones in the links you have posted, the ones in the photos look as if they are stamped in

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sorry for your loss, but it appears to be a sandwich dial Pre-V which is not how they were made.....

What you have appears to be a fake Pre-V, 201a....

Strap & buckle are also aftermarket....

The "201a's" would have been from 1993.... so he didn't get it in the 70's.

Wear it & enjoy it.... :)

The link posted is all the verification that you need... That is a trusted seller and a "Real 201a"... The price however is old... They are now around $40k for a real/complete example.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Bob is 100% correct. That's a fake watch. Recently sold one of my 201As to Italy for $30K+, so the price in the link posted is indeed old.

Wear it and enjoy it regardlessly :)

·
THE ONLY MAN THAT CAN™
23,169 Posts
Think of it as a reminder of a loved one. Enjoy it.

·
L4P Automotive Correspondent
4,100 Posts
Sorry for your loss, but it appears to be a sandwich dial Pre-V which is not how they were made.....

What you have appears to be a fake Pre-V, 201a....

Strap & buckle are also aftermarket....

The "201a's" would have been from 1993.... so he didn't get it in the 70's.

Wear it & enjoy it.... :)

The link posted is all the verification that you need... That is a trusted seller and a "Real 201a"... The price however is old... They are now around $40k for a real/complete example.
+1 sorry for your loss, but that watch is a fake...

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Stunning watch, too bad its fake.
Maybe your grandpa thought it was real when he got it or got scammed or something. Anyways rock it with pride man has a lot of meaning!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no worries chaps, cheers for the info and kind words :eek:) like i say, i have no idea where he got it from, he certainly wasnt a hugely wealthy man, ( not to the tune of having 30k watches ) which did make me wonder!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
no worries chaps, cheers for the info and kind words :eek:) like i say, i have no idea where he got it from, he certainly wasnt a hugely wealthy man, ( not to the tune of having 30k watches ) which did make me wonder!
Craziest part is back in 1993 you could have picked these up for a song.... :lol: They retailed then for less than $2k!! :bitenails:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts