Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the mood to purchase a Panerai. There are so many choices it becomes confusing.

Don't need anything outrageously priced (low to mid is fine) and don't want a chrono.

Prefer something that's looks classic and has a leather band with either a white or black face.

So the question is which Panerai should I consider buying ?

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Taken from another forum

Entry Level Panerai? - The Watch Forum

It's been a while since I've looked at these, but IIRC the first decision to make is whether you prefer the Luminor or Radiomir style case:

Luminor - 44mm; WR 300m; crown protection device
Radiomir - 45mm; WR 100m; screw-down crown

Once that's decided, you have to choose the model. If you're looking at basic models then it's the Unitas 6497-based handwind movement with or without sub-seconds depending on the model, and with no date. These can be found in the "Historic Collection" on the Panerai website.

Luminor Base (no sub-seconds)

000 - aka "Base Logo" - Painted dial (i.e. the lume is painted onto the dial); solid caseback; polished case; OP logo on dial; no swans-neck regulator
112 - Sandwich dial (i.e. the dial has cut-outs for the indices and a layer of lume underneath); display caseback; polished case; swans-neck regulator
114 - As 112 but with white, painted dial
176 - As 112 but with brushed titanium case
219 - As 112 but with crown on left-hand side of case ("Destro" in Panerai parlance)

Luminor Marina (sub-seconds at 9)

005 - As 000 but with sub-seconds
111 - As 112 but with sub-seconds
113 - As 114 but with sub-seconds
177 - as 176 but with sub-seconds

Radiomir

210 - Sandwich dial; display caseback; polished case; swans-neck regulator; no sub-seconds
183 - aka "Black Seal" - as 210 but with sub-seconds

The other Radiomirs in the Historic Collection are either gold / ceramic cased and / or have more complex 8 day movements = much more expensive!

As for homages, nothing really compares to the original but there's plenty on Ebay or the Timefactors PRS-20 is a very nice Radiomir-style watch. MMs are still available (try Manbushijie - never used them but they have them on their site) or how about a Wanted ad here?

I hope this helps. You might also want to try the dedicated Panerai forum Paneristi.com but don't mention homages!.

Cheers,

Guy :)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The 312 is a great Pam I still have one. I love manual wind watches though a Pam 183 or 190 is also a great watch.

·
Registered
379 Posts
PAM/jlc

you are getting good advice all around. I have rads and Luminors.

the 183--black seal- pictured in an earlier post is a favorite. the one is photo is a "G" series or earlier and in my opinion the one to get.

If for no other reason than the "Black Seal" text is at the 6 as opposed to the later ones where it is not.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have a base RAD and Luminor and I would say start with the Luminor.. much better all around daily watch and heftier wrist presence..

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Good Choice you'll love it! Be sure to post some pics!

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
If the Ferrari is yours and the watch is yours, I'd hope you atleast have a phone with a camera.

Either way congrats, it's a great first piece. Plus the 312 holds it's value so when you upgrade you wont lose much, if any.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Congrats on the 312! It's on my short list! Post some pictures if you can! I love seeing this one sit on the wrist. I've been told it's quite a bit thicker due to the 1950 case. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts