Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article by~Mr. Kyle Stults

Along with the PAM 521 and PAM 522 unveiled at Watches & Wonders 2013 in Hong Kong last month, Panerai has added a chronograph to its Radiomir 1940 series, the Radiomir 1940 Chrono Monopulsante 8 Days GMT. For those who prefer to save their breath, a simple “PAM 502″ (red gold or “oro rosso”) or “PAM 503″ (white gold, or “oro bianco”) will do. The new pieces equipped are equipped with Panerai’s the P.2004/10 caliber with a some nice finishing to it — not always the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks of Panerai! I’ll run down the details, below.

Panerai Radiomir 1940 Chrono Monopulsante 8 Days GMT PAM502 and PAM503

Limited edition 300 pieces red gold and 150 piece white gold

45mm white or rose gold case, manual wind Panerai P.2004/10 caliber (monopusher chronograph; three barrels for eight day power reserve)

As a reminder, the the Radiomir 1940 was relaunched by OP in 2012; the case is similar to the Luminor 1950 but without the crown-protection device.

The mono-pusher for the chronograph is at eight o’clock; a second time zone hand with day and night indicator at three, as well as Panerai’s trademark linear power reserve at six. As you can see, the red gold version has a beautiful brown dial with sun satin finish and hash bars and numerals for hour markers; the white gold version has a black dial with simpler hash bar and dot hour markers.

Noteworthy finish features include the skeletonized 3/4 plate with hand-done anglage (rounded, polished bevel):

I believe the relief lettering on the outer edge of the caseback is also new for Panerai.

Price is not cheap, however — around $50,000 which is a far cry from most Panerai’s. Sharp looking watches, no doubt — I am particularly struck by the beauty of the red gold + brown-dialed version!

·
10,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C'mon Bry, it's not the 476th reiteration of the Big Bang. It's distinctly different while still retaining plenty of the Panerai DNA. Well, just my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts