Luxury4Play.com banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What brand is ur 60" plasma? How do they compare?
The LG 60PZ950 which at the time was their flagship and the only THX Certified Plasma.
After a couple days with this monster and fine tuning in dark and light room conditions I can honestly say the following:
I am very impressed and pleasantly surprised at the PQ! Particularly the Black Levels, Color and Contrast uniformity. Those three things were my biggest concerns coming from the outstanding PQ of my plasma.
Out of the box, the settings were ridiculous: Bright as led headlamps head on, over contrast, and very blue. But after self calibration I am stoked. DirecTV looks very good but not as nice as plasma. But blu ray is BANANAS! Only complaint which is not big for me since I'm always gonna be seated directly in front of it, the off-angle viewing is very lack luster. But that is viewing it from my kitchen at @ 40 degrees+

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
My buddy got a 65'' and we played COD on it the other day and I didn't really like it I thought it was just to big for games. But for the price its a hell of a deal. I remember paying that price for a 42'' Samsung when they first came out. Also with the APPLE TV can i stream wirelessly from my laptop?
I love playing The Walking Dead or really any game on xbox on Big screens! Puts you in the game!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My buddy got a 65'' and we played COD on it the other day and I didn't really like it I thought it was just to big for games. But for the price its a hell of a deal. I remember paying that price for a 42'' Samsung when they first came out. Also with the APPLE TV can i stream wirelessly from my laptop?
For professional gaming, smaller screens with fast response times are better. For family games and enjoyment I like the big screen because like TX said, it puts you in the game.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
That's exactly what I've been thinking regarding 4k panels - they look cool up close, but at realistic viewing distances, and given there isn't and won't be much 4k content for a while, they don't make a ton of sense. It's good they're coming oUT because places are discounting shd encouraging early 4k adoption, making getting a good shd panel even more accessible.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Here's a pic I just snapped of TNT (DirecTV). Definitely some channels are broadcasting in higher quality than others! The NBA double header I watched tonight looked absolutely superb!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'd like to see how Internet service providers and cable companies react to this bandwidth-heavy content. ISP's are already bitching about how Netflix takes up so much of their traffic.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Congrats on the TV! I moved my old 55' plasma to the garage and went full out on the 65" ultra HD curved Samsung. It was a toss up with the LG OLED but the LG only comes in 55" (at this time) and when available in 65" will be 12K at retail. Hard to beat Visio for price but I love the curve.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I was thinking of upgrading my 65" led LG to an 80" model. Are Vizio tv's good? I had always thought they were a bargain brand. Maybe I'll go grab one tomorrow. Which model Vizio is the best 80" to get?

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I was thinking of upgrading my 65" led LG to an 80" model. Are Vizio tv's good? I had always thought they were a bargain brand. Maybe I'll go grab one tomorrow. Which model Vizio is the best 80" to get?
At one point they were. But like anything that sells very well, and the company uses that revenue to improve upon their products, Vizio has been making solid devices for a while now. This particular panel is also used the Sharp 80" LED MODEL which also gets great reviews.
I can tell you this... My TV continues to impress me big time!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
looks pretty sweet. I just spent 5 hours installing a 65" samsung 4k 3D TV and of course an additional 2 hours fixing the horrible factory settings.

It is surprising how bad the factory is at doing a TV, lol

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Update... So nearly two months in, and I and my family, continue to be very satisfied! I have continued to tweak it to suit my various viewing habits. Visitors alike are very impressed. :wink:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
What kind of adjustments do you make to optimize the display, and how do you evaluate it? Just by watching videos and TV or are there loops you can run to put it through its paces?

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
What kind of adjustments do you make to optimize the display, and how do you evaluate it? Just by watching videos and TV or are there loops you can run to put it through its paces?
This particular set has "advanced and professional settings: gamma, broad spectrum color adjustments, etc.
What I generally will do is pause a particular scene or ruin a loop on Blu Ray or even DirecTV until I am satisfied. Vision and PQ is very subjective because our vision is so different: sharpness and color blindness. Outside of pro Calibration, which can run hundreds $$$, I'm very comfortable with the Calibration Disc I used from Disney.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts