Luxury4Play.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a couple years of thorough enjoyment from our 60" Plasma (which we will be moving to our bedroom) I pulled the trigger on this Monster during Black Friday. After receiving a damaged one, this baby finally arrived today and I have spent a couple hours tweaking it. All I can say is... I was already not going to the Theater that much. Looks like that trend will continue even more so!

To put the size in perspective, this is the box next to a standard door in our kitchen!

This is the VIZIO 801i-A3

I am a big Home Theater buff and have been researching TV's for months on various A/V Forums. Initially I wanted to stick with what I've owned: Samsung, LG, and Sony. But Vizio has really ramped up their product line over the last couple years and clearly competing with the big boys! This panel is also used in the Sharp 80".
I have been very concerned with losing out on the "phenomenal Black Levels" that Plasmas are known for as well as their ability to handle fast moving objects with an amazing 600hz!
So after firing her up, I knew immediately that I had to calibrate this BEAST. It was far too bright and blueish. But that is how they suck you in at the big box stores under all that bright florescent lighting. I will say that it is MUCH improved after using a calibration disc and my own personal tweaks. It is NOT quite as nice and deep as Plasma but the 6ft of screen more than makes up for it!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I currently own a 60" Samsung Plasma, and will be upgrading to that exact Vizio 80" LED. You have a great taste and tech knowledge.

If you don't mind sharing ur custom setting numbers, I would really apriciate it for when I get mine.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The wall where my current TV is is 110" this would fit perfectly lol.

Is this your first Vizio TV? I want to get my parents a bigger TV for their living room and have always bought Samsungs

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I just bought a 1080P 3D DLP projector and setting up a 100" retractable screen in my room. Also, got a PS4 with CoD lol. Gonna be a nice winter! Congrats brotha!

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

I will be glad to share my settings with you bro.

It is my first vizio. But I have friends who have owned them and really enjoyed them! My best friend has a 70" that he got earlier in the spring so I've had time to watch his too.
I am VERY impressed guys! I used the Disney WOW Calibration Disc add of this posting and an now even more impressed!

I will be playing xbox with my sons on Christmas break and I know that's going to be bananas.

In the quick pic above you can't see my speaker setup. But they are on stands. And a pair are mounted in the walls.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Very nice. For as thin as they are, they sure are heavy as shit though :) .

Reactions: TXSTYLE

·
Registered
638 Posts
Really want to upgrade from my peasant 46" Samsung LED. Would love an 80" if it would even fit on my TV stand.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Really want to upgrade from my peasant 46" Samsung LED. Would love an 80" if it would even fit on my TV stand.
lol, size doesn't matter in this game bro, unless you driving a lifted truck.

Reactions: TXSTYLE

·
Registered
869 Posts
It is absolutely insane how inexpensive TV's are now. I bought a 60" Samsung Tittied Out Edition (don't remember the specific model) earlier this year back in Feb and now the 4K TV's cost just as much.. They were 4x the price last winter!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
$3,000 isn't exactly inexpensive, but for that size, perhaps. We paid about $1600 for our 60'' LG 3D Cinema (we never use the 3d feature by the way :( ).

I really wish they would just make a REGULAR 80'' that ISN'T smart and sell it for half the price. Because damn, I can go to bestbuy and get another apple tv for $100 and have a smart TV like everything else on the market.

Marcus, why did you not go with the new 4k TV's?

Edit: I guess they still do make non-smart TV's. Here was a 65'' LG for under 1k!

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$3,000 isn't exactly inexpensive, but for that size, perhaps. We paid about $1600 for our 60'' LG 3D Cinema (we never use the 3d feature by the way :( ).

I really wish they would just make a REGULAR 80'' that ISN'T smart and sell it for half the price. Because damn, I can go to bestbuy and get another apple tv for $100 and have a smart TV like everything else on the market.

Marcus, why did you not go with the new 4k TV's?

Edit: I guess they still do make non-smart TV's. Here was a 65'' LG for under 1k!
Great question! Glad you asked:

Before purchasing this set, as I said, I read countless threads, blogs and articles on everything related to screens and their trend: Curved panels, OLED, FALD, and of course 4k or Ultra HD. Based on my research and the very obvious fact that there simply is not and won't be any viable 4k content in the foreseeable future, I decided to just go bigger while NOT breaking the bank. This modest investment is great for me. Because I typically look to switch TV's @ 3yrs. Sure a 4k TV is impressive... if you're sitting or standing 4-5ft from it! But as you move further back, the human eye really can't discern 4k from 1080p. And from 10ft and beyond which is generally where you want to be anyway watching TV, I can't justify forking over the $8,000+ for a 4k TV larger than a 70".
Here's a insightful article: Why Ultra HD 4K TVs are still stupid - CNET

·
Registered
176 Posts
congrats and enjoy!
I still have my 65" Panny plasma and was looking around to upgrade but decided to wait around till the OLEDs drop a bit in price... LG hitting the market with some new sets in 2015 but Samsung announced no OLEDs coming until 2016....
technology is a helluva drug!

·
Registered
319 Posts
My buddy got a 65'' and we played COD on it the other day and I didn't really like it I thought it was just to big for games. But for the price its a hell of a deal. I remember paying that price for a 42'' Samsung when they first came out. Also with the APPLE TV can i stream wirelessly from my laptop?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts