Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does seeing the incredible cars and homes showcased on this site ever get you feeling a little down? My one pride and joy (a classic mini) was wrecked by a careless van driver a few months ago, and despite getting into a good university to do a good degree, i can't see myself earning enough money to afford even one of the amazing cars shown here...am i the only one who feels like this?

I'm not having a whine, i just want to know what the consensus is like among the less affluent here.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Does seeing the incredible cars and homes showcased on this site ever get you feeling a little down? My one pride and joy (a classic mini) was wrecked by a careless van driver a few months ago, and despite getting into a good university to do a good degree, i can't see myself earning enough money to afford even one of the amazing cars shown here...am i the only one who feels like this?

I'm not having a whine, i just want to know what the consensus is like among the less affluent here.
Everyone gets a 'feeling input' from what they see here, but what you do with that defines more about you than you think. Many people use that to sit on their hands and soak in what they don't have / never will. Others use it as motivation to achieve. Many members here, began from the middle class and worked themselves to where they are now. It's a combination of hard work and dedication, ingenuity as well as a few others.

These things are merely material items, at the end of the day, cherish what you have, because so many people don't have what you do.

Life is an unforgiving bull, it will come at you no matter what you do. The question is, are you ready for it?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Don't let it get you down, find ways to better yourself. As JasonV said in the end remember they are material things. Be known as the person that did this or helped at that not man this person had so many toys. I mean look at Knick and all he does to leave behind a better world, that is where the heart should be. Good luck on a great happy and healthy future.

·
Registered
114 Posts
quite the opposite. I see it as motivation. Motivation to go to law school and work hard to succeed. but as others have said, it's just material things. theres plenty of other things in life worth pursuing. i look at it from this approach. you only live once. during that time i want to own a Lamborghini. If that means living in a quaint apartment (not the slums but not high class either) then so be it. I'll enjoy the car for a few years then move on to other things in life. I don't want to become obsessed with money. I want to have it simply because it is a necessity in this world to acquire my dream (a lambo and a decent house). :D

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
As above, I feel the opposite.

Use the great things you see on this site as motivation to dream big and work hard!!

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Coming from a family(non-immidiate) that has had their share of fortunes, hearing them complain about all the stress associated with owning toys, big homes and such, I'm glad i'm not there. I dreamed of owning lambos and such and admire them as much as other exotic cars but i never really wanted to own one. I know people who have this dream life picture of their trophy wife, beautiful children, gated estate and garage with some pretty toys and that so isn't me. I don't want marriage or children or really any financially stressing items. My dreams tend to be much more realistic and achievable. For personal examples : having a highrise apartment, or living financially well under my means. I am not materialistic and what makes me who I am is from the inside out; not the outside in.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts

Don't let it get you down...Consider it a goal to strive for!
Work for it, and it will happen..... How bad do you want it?

I never went to collage, but i still had the burn to succeed.

It doesn't matter if you have 10 dollars or 10 billion dollars.
At the end of the day all that really matters is your heath, your family and friends.... ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
quite the opposite. I see it as motivation. Motivation to go to law school and work hard to succeed. but as others have said, it's just material things. theres plenty of other things in life worth pursuing. i look at it from this approach. you only live once. during that time i want to own a Lamborghini. If that means living in a quaint apartment (not the slums but not high class either) then so be it. I'll enjoy the car for a few years then move on to other things in life. I don't want to become obsessed with money. I want to have it simply because it is a necessity in this world to acquire my dream (a lambo and a decent house). :D
:clap:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nothing wrong with dreaming, and it may even make you figure out a way to make more income to afford the things you want in life. There is a wrinkle in every feild that will enable you to make money...look for a hole in the market and fill it.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
everybody dreams of something else...the scud owner dreams of an enzo...the gallardo owner dreams of a veyron. the viper owner (like myself) dreams of a zonda....the sl55 owner dreams of a slr....it goes on and on..

there will always be a bigger fish...which is good...it lets all of us dream.

ps...real minis are awesome..I would love to stuff a busa engine in one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When people see others with nice things they think of of two things. Screw that guy or man I want to be him. Don't be upset because others aren't motivated enough to succeed in life.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I think I agree with most in here, it's more motivation, but you constantly need to check yourself to make sure the direction you're headed is the way you want to go. Me for example, I just turned 25 last month and I feel I'm way behind the curve of most around here. I've always been seen by others as 'pretty driven' but I feel I could do so much more. I started a new company in July and less the $1000 I put in it to open the bank accounts, we haven't had to borrow any money to make any ends meet, and it's doing pretty dang well. It's weird, my original plan after getting out of school was to work for a company and do the regular thing, but somewhere in the last 6 months I told myself I wouldn't work for anyone else unless it was a necessity, dunno where that came from honestly.

It just depends what you want, I'm convinced that your income is directly related to your giving, so be charitable, realize that a U-Haul can't follow a Hurst (you can't take any of it with you when you die), and do what you can to better yourself and others then you'll be fine.

One quote I read on here that haunts me: ‎"Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't.". Talk about a kick in the nuts.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Don't assume all the stuff folks have is theirs….for many it's financed…payments, payments and more payments.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Don't assume all the stuff folks have is theirs….for many it's financed…payments, payments and more payments.
That sounds a lot like an assumption itself.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
That sounds a lot like an assumption itself.
True, true about my assumption…you guys do know what I'm saying. We MUST teach/encourage the younger generation the importance of prioritizing, saving and living within their means.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Make your haters your motivators.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm more practical than materialistic. There is nothing wrong with either; if ya got the money spend it.

My home is very practical and I live in an area of the Midwest that has the lowest housing prices in the country. I've got a 4br, 2bath, 1400 sq ft home that my wife and I paid $30,000 for (not a typo- thirty grand) about 3 years ago. Our mortgage is $197 a month. Our most expensive vehicle was my Blazer for $8600. At the time I could have afforded a $20,000 vehicle, but I went with a cheaper one since vehicles aren't investments, they are money pits. My Honda I got for free. My wife's Explorer we pay about $118 a month. Why spend more money than you have to?

Takehome income (net after taxes) is about $2,600 a month both incomes combined. If we didn't have CC payments or my student loan payments, we'd live very, very comfortable. Even with the above debt, we still do pretty well. We have a few thousand in savings for emergency use only, then a separate savings for things we want.

We are working on paying off our debt then investing in something that will make more money (my business). Slowly upgrading things as needed without rupturing financial stability is our goal. Family first, fun second.

I don't get bummed out too much about the luxury stuff on here once I think of the overhead and maintenance required. To me, it's just not practical, but I'm below working class so I've never been in a situation to appreciate the finer material things in life. I'm a Honda car and Timex watch kind of guy. :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts