Luxury4Play.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow l4p members

I would consider myself as a wine newbie, so I'll ask You that are more experienced than me when it comes to wine.

its maybe funny to someone, but I find wine better than beer! anyway, the thing was, I introduced myself to wine this summer. I drank 2 bottles of Vranac, which is red wine from monte *****, and I liked it a lot.

a couple of my friends recommended red wine from hungary to me, they said its even better than the Vranac that I drank. So I took a trip to the alco store at the local shopping mall to check out some wine for new year party. The thing is that they had a lot of different wine, fruit wine, red wine, rosé wine and so on.

I wanted to ask you all if You knew the difference between these types of wine? And have u got anything special to recommend to me? I'm not a rich guy so I wont buy an expensive wine, but Im going for the more average priced wine.

so, can someone explain the difference between these wines? I would be thankful.

thanks in advance:D

·
Registered
643 Posts
I would say an averaged price wine based on L4P standards is about 60$, but thats because this is a luxury forum.

Since you are new at wine, and you mentioned you saw wine made from fruit, just get that out of head now. Its not wine!! Wine is made from grapes, and the other stuff is just fermented fruit drink.

Check this out!
Red Wine Basics, The Basics of Red Wine, All About Red Wine learn about the body types. This is important for learning red wine

I personally only drink Cabs, because im new-ish at drinking wine, so I guess im scares to try other variety of red. (I hate white wine btw)

Try J.Lohr Seven Oaks Cabernet Sauvingon, still pretty young, but Im sure its better than wine from Hungary
Also try Giuseppe Quintarelli Valpolicella Classico Superiore 1999.. One of my favorites for sure!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm thanks for the tip about the fruit wine, now I know that I should avoid it. Well I have to agree with you on the white wine, I remember tasting some white wine when I was in barcelona and it wasnt that good.

and thanks for the recommendation for the wine, I'll write it down and ask the experts at the alco store about it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
To be honest I would say that this is all about personal taste. Somebody might recommend you something that they really like and you will not like it that much. This does not mean that it is not a good wine but rather that it is not good according to your personal taste. I personally prefer Pinot Noir, but to have a good one you have to go for nothing under a La Crema which is the basic standard if you want ot try these. Simple try and enjoy you will find what you really like and the good part of this wine tasting is that it will quite often generate some good discussion around a glass of wine that you will probably enjoy better then the wine itself but it is part of it so why not. Keep on sharing your discovery...

·
Registered
569 Posts
I took a Wine Tasting course during my last year at college - I kid you not, we had a 3-credit class on Wine Tasting.

It was actually a pretty technical class, but I learned a lot from the course. They got chastised a bit after the first few semesters, so they added a ton of technical processes and chemistry behind wine making into the course; The wine tasting portion was just a small "lab" part of the class.

This was the textbook we used in the class - Windows on the World:
Amazon.com: Windows on the World Complete Wine Course: 2009 Edition (9781402757464): Kevin Zraly: Books
It was an incredibly informative book that described different wines, regions, how some are made, etc, and it was very easy reading also. Not too technical, casual tone, and lots of pictures to support the info. I keep mine in my wine closet and actually flip it open pretty often when I want to remember something. I'd recommend grabbing a copy of it since you can get it super cheap.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Judging by our login name you also went to VT. The wines and vines class was great. I didn't take it myself but know many people that did.

I preferred to do the majority of my "learning" at TOTS.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Judging by our login name you also went to VT. The wines and vines class was great. I didn't take it myself but know many people that did.

I preferred to do the majority of my "learning" at TOTS.
Yes sir - it was the Wines and Vines class. The professor was rather dry, which is fitting for a wine class I suppose, but I enjoyed it. Learned a lot about how different regions affect the grapes and wine quality, how champagne gets made, and then, of course, tasting wine and getting college credits was awesome.

And man, TOTS, I always ordered Rails when I was drinking there. I'll be down at the ACC Championship game tomorrow, Go Hokies!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hell yeah bud.

I hope they smash FSU tomorrow but it will be a tough one.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I took a Wine Tasting course during my last year at college - I kid you not, we had a 3-credit class on Wine Tasting.

This was the textbook we used in the class - Windows on the World:
Amazon.com: Windows on the World Complete Wine Course: 2009 Edition (9781402757464): Kevin Zraly: Books
It was an incredibly informative book that described different wines, regions, how some are made, etc, and it was very easy reading also. Not too technical, casual tone, and lots of pictures to support the info. I keep mine in my wine closet and actually flip it open pretty often when I want to remember something. I'd recommend grabbing a copy of it since you can get it super cheap.
thanks for the recommendation on the book, I just ordered it for my Dad for his birthday. He is a big wine guy, but I don't think he knows much about how it is made.

My advice to the OP: Drink a lot of different wines and find what you like, the drink a lot of that.

Wine, like any other food, is very individual by taste. It really doesn't matter what others like, what something costs, etc. It is really more about drinking what you like. If it turns out to be cheap, then you are lucky!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
it is hanukah and all....

jk, but ill post up a few cheap ones when i get home

1 - 10 of 10 Posts